TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #31
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Hey Bob,

The silent heat surely appeals to all of us . . . However, we have two 70 pounds dogs who like to be as close as possible to the table. I'm wondering if it would be safe for them.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
Hey Bob,

The silent heat surely appeals to all of us . . . However, we have two 70 pounds dogs who like to be as close as possible to the table. I'm wondering if it would be safe for them.

Malinda
I don't think it would hurt the dogs. I have touched the side with my leg (skin to metal) with the unit on high and it's not a burn type hot, but it's hot enough that you don't want to keep touching it for more than a couple seconds.

I have had several large dogs over time and I imagine they would enjoy the heat of this heater like they do a fireplace, it feels great from a few inches away because most of the heat comes out the top but the area around it is very pleasantly warm. It's on wheels so it easily moves where you want it.

I know how determined dogs can be to be where they want to be. I think if they laid down too close, less than a couple inches away, they would move OR you could just move the heater a little to find a place that works. I think it would be something they would come to enjoy and not dislike.

Another example of the heat from the bottom and sides I find if I get cold from going outside when I come back inside with frozen toes and hands, I slide my feet under the unit with my legs a couple inches away from the side and my hands over the top like at a camp fire, feels great. That's the type of heat it provides.

It's just a great heater that works very well in the TM. I have been in Cedar City for two full days and haven't used any propane for heat yet. And YES the SILENCE is great!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #33
Mr Geek

Default Worst WINDS ever

Quick Update:

Last night (Christmas) and into the early morning in Cedar City the winds kicked up extremely strong. I never felt anything like that in my TM. I just talked to the owner of the KOA and he has never seen anything like that here and was blown away as well.

I was seriously concerned about blowing over, it was like being on a fast boat in white caps, snapping from side to side, just crazy stuff.

There were some very large siding segments from buildings close by that tore lose and I could hear them flying down the highway, along with a large metal propane price sign that was swing mounted for high winds that tore loose and ended up 20 feet from my RV.

Nice day today, about 42 degrees, partly cloudy, few light showers. The snow line is slightly higher with nearby ridges white with snow. It may snow tonight, that would be nice, minus the winds that is
Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
brulaz

The oil filled radiant/convection heaters are really nice. Just too bad they are so heavy.

Our little fan-based electrical coil heater just heats the air which then heats the interior. There's no direct, hot, radiant heat.

We prefer our wood stove at home to the forced air furnace as well.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #35
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the great info Bob! We're sold! I saw them a little cheaper than that at Walmart and Home Depot this morning but I'll have to check more closely if they function the same as the one you got. I'll post after I've purchased.

Malinda

Picture me singing "Silence is Golden"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
Mr Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the great info Bob! We're sold! I saw them a little cheaper than that at Walmart and Home Depot this morning but I'll have to check more closely if they function the same as the one you got. I'll post after I've purchased.

Malinda

Picture me singing "Silence is Golden"
That's great! NOTE: This Dragon series is supposed to be very good at not getting too hot on the sides because it has those heat tubes directing hot air out the top. The normal models may get too hot for pets. Not sure, just wanted to mention it.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
T and C
TrailManor Master

Mr. G,

Our house has one big room upstairs. A little under 300 square feet. It does NOT have a duct from the forced air heater. Even though we live in SoCal, It can get as low as the 30's outside in the winter time, more frequently, in the 40's.

We had a big family so it got used as a bedroom for a while. The problem was always that it was pretty cold up there. Has exterior walls on 4 sides. I solved the heat problem with one of those oil/electric heaters. The one I had was programmable to come on at a certain time, like a half hour before get up time. I got it at Home Depot. It really did a good job. This type is much cheaper to run than just a radiant electric heater.

I'd tell you what brand and type it was...but my son took it with him when he moved to "Aridzona".

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #38
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Mr. G,

Our house has one big room upstairs. A little under 300 square feet. It does NOT have a duct from the forced air heater. Even though we live in SoCal, It can get as low as the 30's outside in the winter time, more frequently, in the 40's.

We had a big family so it got used as a bedroom for a while. The problem was always that it was pretty cold up there. Has exterior walls on 4 sides. I solved the heat problem with one of those oil/electric heaters. The one I had was programmable to come on at a certain time, like a half hour before get up time. I got it at Home Depot. It really did a good job. This type is much cheaper to run than just a radiant electric heater.

I'd tell you what brand and type it was...but my son took it with him when he moved to "Aridzona".

Tom
Hi Tom,

It could have been a model very similar to this one. The model I linked to has a 24-hour timer, with tabs at 15-minute intervals covering 24-hours, where you can have it ON or OFF.

Aside from how well it heats, I like how safe this heater is compared to other heaters I have owned and that programmable timer adds very useful power/temp management. That really makes it ideal for RV use.

Bob.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #39
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

OK, I've been heater shopping this morning. The one you got is clearly superior to the cheap ones at Walmart and Home Depot. Lowe's actually had them displayed so I could really compare them. They have the one you got and another one that is digital and has a remote for about the same price, $75. Our situations are slightly different because of our dogs. I am wondering if we got a model that doesn't have those heat tubes directing hot air out the top if we could leave it just under the front edge of the table at night. The dogs are either on the bed or the dining seats at night and that would kind of protect it from them when they REALLY want to go out NOW.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.imarketcity.com/deew15wadioi.html. I'm not sure if it works the same (moving the heat up, rather than out). It seems like maybe it does . . .

Thanks,
Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #40
Mr Geek

Quote:
OK, I've been heater shopping this morning. The one you got is clearly superior to the cheap ones at Walmart and Home Depot. Lowe's actually had them displayed so I could really compare them. They have the one you got and another one that is digital and has a remote for about the same price, $75. Our situations are slightly different because of our dogs. I am wondering if we got a model that doesn't have those heat tubes directing hot air out the top if we could leave it just under the front edge of the table at night. The dogs are either on the bed or the dining seats at night and that would kind of protect it from them when they REALLY want to go out NOW.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.imarketcity.com/deew15wadioi.html. I'm not sure if it works the same (moving the heat up, rather than out). It seems like maybe it does . . .

Thanks,
Malinda
First off...I'm jealous, your heater looks better than mine, I like the black and nice digital readout and remote!

I don't think putting any of these heaters under the table is an ideal situation because they all will be HOT directly above them, I don't feel it's necessarily a fire issue but more of exposing your table top to a lot of heat that may discolor it. Maybe it would be just fine and you would have a nice radiator "table heater". Careful testing seems smart.

I doubt the dogs would easily knock these units over, they are pretty heavy with casters offset wider than the unit is, so they are actually very stable. Also, the casters roll very smoothly, so I think if the dogs bump into the heater it will just roll around when on a hard floor BUT could be more tippy on the carpet. Hopefully after a little time the pups will get used to the heater and navigate around it.

The heater is very easy to move around so at night you might move it more towards the bathroom, next to the sink or stove, just someplace, out of the way of the "time to go now" action from the pups. The key is keeping the top free to "chimney" to open air.

NOTE: I know the temperature of the unit I have on the sides is such that at only 1 to 2 inches away it feels plesantly warm, not hot at all. So putting the heater next to the stove or sink/hallway cabinets shouldn't be a problem and that would keep it out of the way of the dogs and much less likely to get knocked around at night. I wouldn't put it next to the fridg for obvious reasons. It would seem with the casters offset at the bottom, they stick out far enough that they will stop the unit from being too close to any verticle surface if bumped.

The model you are considering looks very nice. From researching online it seems the Delonghi brand is a very good choice for these types of heaters which is why I ended up with one.

I looked at the DeLonghi site for the model you are buying and it appears to function similar to the Dragon series, using thermal chimney design so the sides don't get too hot but it's not exactly the same metal work so I can't say how hot it may get on the sides.

I like to look for user reviews online on stuff like this and see if there are common complaints about a particular model. I just looked this model up on Amazon and it wasn't shown, probably too new. No matter what you will most likely find a few people who just don't like a particular product but you can usually read through enough reviews to filter out the consensus from the majority of folks.

I would be very interested in how you like your heater once you get it and have time to pup test it and really try it out. I think you will be very pleased. With one 1500w cermic heater and this 1500w oil filled radiator I have had more than enough heat with lows down to 27-degrees so far. Colder days are ahead, I will post back with how things go.