TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
OffToDaRaces

Default Jack Handle

I thank you all for the recommendations for using thr portable drill. I have two Craftsman 19.2 drills that would do the job safely. My main objective is not the operation the jack, but to be able to do it without getting down on the ground. I was thinking along the line of an extended length handle, so I could just bend over a little to save my back.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #32
RogerR

I use a 3/8 inch rod 14 inches long. I bent it over at the end to make an appropriate hook to connect to the jack eye.

I then used my bench grinder to make the drill end have some flat spots for the drill to latch onto.

Watch out the first few times you do this as even a moderately powerfull drill will try to twist your wrist off if you aren't careful when you hit the ground or full up position.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #33
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

They do make electric motors that can be permanently attached to each jack, making them electric jacks. So you could make lowering and raising the jacks as easy as flipping a few switches. But be prepared to spend some coin. They're not cheap, and I have no idea why not.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-motor-kit.htm
http://www.jcwhitney.com/power-pack-.../p2013462.jcwx

http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-jack-power-pack.html (by far, the cheapest of these 3)

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #34
TravlinOn

Dave - I like your comment about having electric jacks on all the corners. I also like that phone ap that says how to level the trailer. Hmm, wouldn't the ideal ap be for one that determines how the trailer should be leveled and then tells each corner jack to move up or down? Just press a key, sit back, and drink a beer .
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #35
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Hmm, wouldn't the ideal ap be for one that determines how the trailer should be leveled and then tells each corner jack to move up or down? Just press a key, sit back, and drink a beer .
I'm pretty sure self-leveling units exist for the larger motorhomes/diesel pushers. But my guess is they're a least several thousand bucks.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Dave - I like your comment about having electric jacks on all the corners. I also like that phone ap that says how to level the trailer. Hmm, wouldn't the ideal ap be for one that determines how the trailer should be leveled and then tells each corner jack to move up or down? Just press a key, sit back, and drink a beer .
Check out the recent update for the self leveling app. It now serves you the cold beer and some peanuts.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #37
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Check out the recent update for the self leveling app. It now serves you the cold beer and some peanuts.
Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning. Seriously (not really), I wonder how much one of those Japanese robot butlers weighs? They could do all of the above plus turn on the oven and give me some fresh roasted peanuts! [hmm, I need to find a big-bellied "smiley face" somewhere. ]

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #38
PopBeavers

I frequently take my 27 year old son along. He can do the heavy stuff.

Not everyone has a son.

Not everyone has a son old enough and strong enough for the task.

Not everyone has a son willing to go camping with them.

Not everyone is willing to have their son go camping with them.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #39
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

@PopBeavers
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #40
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
@PopBeavers
Thanks,

Some people just do not like some of my humor. Nice to know that not everyone is in that category.