TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #41
larsdennert

Definitely ask here first. I learned so much from others here and I consider myself quite handy with tools. Is your avatar a picture taken from the site of your lot?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #42
rumbleweed

Default An idea

Suzie
This is a little off the thread,but in the home section of WalMart or target you can get towel and bath lotion holders that hang over a standard door. These work great hanging over the wall of the shower once it is up. They simply pop off when you close back up. A little single sided foam tape in the door bracket protects the wall and makes it fit perfectly.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #43
SuzieQ16

Default Once again we're back from the bay and worn out!

In answer to your question about my picture. No, it was actually on the list they had but it was pretty darn close to our shoreline except we had a 250' 6' wide pier. And, the tree line across the water would sorta pass for the back-side of Galveston Island in the distance. The causeway to Galveston from the mainland would be on the right (that's how close we are to the island) so if you're ever down that way and you are coming off the island back towards Houston, all you have to do is look to your right when you're coming down off the causeway and that is our little strip of Heaven. It's called Virginia Point. You can google it. There is an old civil war fort site that covers where the 1st 6 houses stood (those for sure cannot be built back because there is going to be some research done on that area) but, luckily we are down at the end of the road and have a huge lot - just no house now. But our cute little TM is sitting there proudly on the gravel and sand and we spent all of today getting acquainted with the heater, hot water tank, battery, fresh water tank, stove, etc. Luckily one of the guys who also has a place there and who had brought his Jayco pop-up in last week came down and helped me get everything up and running for the first time. My husband was chopping down dead palms and oleanders and burning them, so it's going to be up to me to remember all I learned. But I think I have it stored away in this shrinking brain of mine.

And, to rumbleweed, I will check out Walmart and perhaps Target tomorrow along with Home Depot (need a rubbermaid shed to lock up tools and the generator in) for those soap dispensers. I just happened to have this particular one in the garage and ran across it and it was rather large for the trailer so your idea sounds much better to me. Thanks again, guys. We're excited about getting our little place back in shape again. You know I had a wonderful little sign that hung in the front window that said "Heaven is a cottage by the sea." And that's what our little place was, just a small cottage on the bay. Now, ......if I could just dig up my little sign somewhere out there I could hang it in the TM!

Sue
Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #44
larsdennert

There is a really good electronic manual floating around here. The tm appliances are like any other rv. What's different is the setup and breakdown. I had started some instructions which are described more in the manual. Certain little tricks in the order make things easier like unlatching both shells to release tension when closing down. Since you are there more permanently you might not need these inst.

Opening up:
Disconnect from vehicle and assure that the trailer is fairly level.
Choke wheels if needed
Release latches at corners
Release levers for both shells
Extend front shell fully and latch
Extend front bed
Extend rear shell fully and latch
Extend rear bed
Turn on propane, hookup electrical and water. Use regulator with City water.
Extend and latch door jam and door
Extend steps
Lower velcro skirts
Hang cabinets
Lift and slide wardrobe
Lift and slide bath wall door
Lift and swing shower wall
Latch three latches on bath
Latch beds
Turn water pump on if you are not on city water.
Bleed air at stove before turning on water heater

Closing down:
Stow loose items
Turn off lights, water pump, AC, water heater, heater, stove, stereo, fans, fridge to off or 12V w/ fan on if you choose.
Close windows, drapes and vents
Remove bedroom drapes
Unlatch beds
Unlatch bath
Swing and Fold down shower wall
Slide and fold bath door
Slide and fold wardrobe
Unhook cabinets and strap down
Remove table center leaf and stow at wall or under dinnette if you have lino.
Fold and latch table
Fold down seat backs
Fold up velcro skirts
Lower antenna
For long term storage open faucets and 4 outside drains.
For cold weather add rv safe coolant
Close awning
Raise leveling jacks
Unlatch and fold door then the jamb
Fold steps
Turn off gas
Slide beds
Disconnect utilities
Unlatch both shells
Fold inner shell an latch
Fold outer shell and latch
Trip battery fuse for long term storage

Dumping:
Attach dump hose from bumper
Pull black water at toilet
Pull black water at hose
Flush and close valve
Pull grey water
Flush and close valve
Close toilet valve and charge toilet and add chem
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #45
SuzieQ16

This is great. The manual I have is sorely lacking. I have printed this out and added it to the front of my manual. We haven't used the toilet yet (I had bought a portable camping one @ Walmart to take down there until we could figure out how we're going to dump.) Now that it's all set-up we don't want to have to take it down to go dump - there is a small RV campground right across I-45. Talked to one of the other lease holders yesterday and he has a good friend who is in the septic business so he's going to get him to come in and clean out everyone's septic that wants to get on the list (I would think all because all are full w/gravel, dirt and sand - we're on an oyster shell reef out in front so most of ours is oyster shell gravel). They are also working on having new light poles put in and electricity strung (we're actually hoping they'll put it underground this time) and also working on getting our water meter back so we can run new water lines. Then I will feel more comfortable about using the toilet. To me that's the next little hurdle we have to get by. The grey water we can just let go on the gravel because it will absorbe quickly. So, when you said that last step at the end about "close toilet valve and charge toilet and add chem," that's only if you are going to continue using it right then, right? You don't leave it charged if you are going to pack it away and store it for awhile?

Well, I'm off to Walmart and Home Depot. Thanks for all this wonderful info. I'll check it later for that one question I have above.

Sue
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #46
Scott O

If getting someone to "pump" your holding tank, be aware that you can't do that! The Thetford must be emptied from below, so maybe the tank guy can attach the way you normally dump. As far as the toilet valves go, there are actually two. The first is inside the bathroom under the toilet. This is normally pushed in - the closed position. The other is outside near the outlet. The toilet valve is the one behind the grey water valve. When you dump (always do the Thetford first as the grey water tank will help clean your hose), connect your sewer hose, open the outside valve, then open the inside valve. When empty you can refill the toilet with water using the shower hose and dump again. There are various opinions on how to store the Thetford, but we empty and clean ours as best we can and just leave it. We do not add chemicals until we need to use the toilet... Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #47
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I think that you are wise to use the porta-potty while the trailer is stationary.

Some people even remove the Thetford recirculating toilet and replace it with a porta-potty.

I wish that they built the TM with a cassette toilet. It would make it so nice for dumping while you are camping. The toilet that comes with the TM sorta relegates you to weekend camping trips. Anyone wanting to stay in one place for more than 3 or 4 days is faced with the same dilemma that you are.

I know that if we were going to stay in one place for more than 4 days, we would take along a porta-potty.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #48
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure she meant that someone was going to pump the Thetford. If I read correctly, the septic guy will pump out the septic tank that is on the property, since it is apparently filled with sand, rocks, shells, etc.

As for the manual, I think Lars is referring to Mike and Kelly's manual, that is/was in the TM Technical Library. Unfortunately, one of our members pointed out to me that the file is no longer retrievable. It appears that the Internet Service Provider that Mike was using has gone belly up, and Mike's email address on file here at TMO appears to be dead.

I have emailed the author to ask him for a new copy, since it was a great manual. But in the meantime, if anyone has a copy of the pdf file, and wants to email it to me, I will find a place to host it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #49
larsdennert

I should have the manual at home and could repost it too. I think I was adding to it but it was a while ago.

Suzie, disconnect the shore power (when you get some) and pull the fuse on the batteries if you will be away from the TM for more than a few days so the batteries don't overcharge and boil off. I don't recall if you have a new model with the better converter.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mike (the author) came through! I now have a copy of the manual in my hands (on my computer), so I will find somewhere to post it in the next few days. Right now I'm not at home, so my resources are limited. Be patient!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote