TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #71
rocknroll

Default One more trailmanor (2006 2720) with a Sealand

Finished installation a couple weeks ago and just tested it out on a trip to Oceanside, CA.

Installation was similar to Wayne's and Robert's. Thanks for leading the way.

A comment in one of the many posts I read about the Thetford talked about the use of a lot of silicone when installing the toilet, but the first photo is a good example of too much silicone. No wonder I was having so many problems.

The second photo is the connection to the toilet. I am new to trailers and found out that RV toilet fittings are different than house toilets. I brought the toilet to the local RV shop and they were able to put together the fittings to attach to the sharkbite piping.

The third photo shows final installation. I built a pad similar to Robert's to elevate it over the wheel well. The toilet is high but not too high. The kids use a step when using. I spent a lot of time when cutting the new hole. I usually go by the mantra "measure twice cut once", but this time it was more like "measure 8 times cut once". The hole turned out good though. I extended the hole about 1 1/2" to the front.

The forth picture is where I ended up running the vent hose. I ran it through the bathroom vanity and under the kitchen sink. From underneath the trailer it seemed like a clear shot through.

The fifth picture: I used fernco couplings at the drain pipe from the toilet and at the 1 1/2" grey water pipe. I figured if I get a flat, the break points will be at the couplings and hopefully cause less damage to the black or grey water tanks.

It was actually a fairly easy installation for those who are thinking about it. As for water usage: I have not done any dry camping with it yet, but I have a container I bring for extra water and a tote to drain into. Very pleased with it so far. Going camping again next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01848.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	5.54 MB
ID:	7797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01850.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	5.12 MB
ID:	7798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01852.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	7799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01923.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	7800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01921.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	4.99 MB
ID:	7801  

Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #72
Scott O

The first picture is showing silicone almost completely plugging the drain hole??? And this came from the factory??? Absolutely amazing...the reason for your dissatification with the Thetford is pretty evident now. Nice job on the install, very professional. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #73
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
The second photo is the connection to the toilet. I am new to trailers and found out that RV toilet fittings are different than house toilets. I brought the toilet to the local RV shop and they were able to put together the fittings to attach to the sharkbite piping.
There is a single Sharkbite fitting that is a 1/2" PEX-to-pipe thread fitting that can be used here. The next time I'm at "The Depot" I'll try to get a pic and post here.

Quote:
The third photo shows final installation. I built a pad similar to Robert's to elevate it over the wheel well.
I liked Robert's pad in that it added a decorative touch, I like yours for the "floating" toe kick look--nice! Two good options!

Quote:
The forth picture is where I ended up running the vent hose. I ran it through the bathroom vanity and under the kitchen sink. From underneath the trailer it seemed like a clear shot through.
Could you describe a little how you adapted from the 1-1/4" inch hole in the tank top to whatever size flexible hose you used (for future installers)?

Quote:
The fifth picture: I used fernco couplings at the drain pipe from the toilet and at the 1 1/2" grey water pipe. I figured if I get a flat, the break points will be at the couplings and hopefully cause less damage to the black or grey water tanks.
Ooooh! That's VERY interesting!!!!

Happy flushing,
wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #74
robertkennel

Default Well thats at least three, do we have four

I guess the installer must have been running low on silicone mine was only 25 percent blocked. Too bad the guy sealing the toilets wasn't sealing the roofs on the Elkmont.

You didn't mention any negatives, that's right there aren't any. ( well maybe the seat is a little too high) The toilet uses very little water for the quick flush. I really enjoyed sending my old toilet to the landfill this weekend. No more charging the toilet with the low flow shower head is great too. Oh and sooo quiet.

I bought the sharkbite crimping tool as Home Depot. Now I can do water repairs any time. (sixty clams)

Congratulations Mr. Rock and Roll you just increased your TM value and enjoyment level. Thanks for the pictures and letting everyone know it's not a very difficult mod.

I guess as a last finishing touch on the install is to reduce the max weight on the info label in the trailer as the new toilet is heavier than the old. Robert
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #75
rocknroll

We took it out again last weekend. Both times now has been with full hook up, but leaving the valve closed for 2 days for a family of four - about half full. The kids (age 8 & 11) do pretty good with a conservative flush. No complaints with using too much water to get a good flush.

I purchased the tank/toilet from Scamp and they sent some pipe and fittings for the tank vent. I only used the fitting that screwed into the tank and a 90. I purchased a fitting that i glued into the ninety and another that screwed into that to allowed me to attach 7/8" tubing. Attached is a picture that I took during the install. It's not the best picture - it doesn't show the whole fitting. When I open it up again, I'll take a better picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01851.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	7812  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #76
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkennel View Post
I guess the installer must have been running low on silicone mine was only 25 percent blocked. Too bad the guy sealing the toilets wasn't sealing the roofs on the Elkmont. Robert
I love the second line!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #77
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkennel View Post
Too bad the guy sealing the toilets wasn't sealing the roofs on the Elkmont.
Sad but true. However, I don't recall any Elkmont owners switching out their toilets.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #78
robertkennel

The first time I saw the Elkmont I really liked the toilet. The whole layout is excellent. I wish it fit in the garage. If it did fit, bye bye 2720SL.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #79
Gene Colorado

Default How wide is the 711 M28 C

Hi,

I would like to put in the same toilet in my 2000 TailManor 3124 King, but I have only 17 1/4 in. in width. The wheel well is the problem. The wheel well is the old style made of metal. I would have to lift the toilet 9 inchs to clear it. How wide is the toleit you put in?
My toilet seat is cracked, which catches your pants when you sit down. The toilet hinges also broke away form the unit, other than that it still works ok. I could get a new seat and lid for $200, but then I would still have the same smelly Thetford. I have looked for narrower toilets, but can not find any.
I hope the new toilet works for you. If you are looking for home for your old Thetford I could use it. I would pay for shipping or, would pick it up. I live in Littleton, Colorado. How do I get in touch with you?

Any Ideas????
Gene
Gene Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #80
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Sealand toilet with older wheel wells

I replied to Gene and hope to see his TM in the next few days. My first thot is to look at the "Square to rounded wheel well mod" and hopefully kill two birds. Most of the links I found on the Forum were dead, but by a Google search I found this one: http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/whlwell.htm. If anybody knows any others, more info is always better!

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote