TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2024, 01:20 PM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Casey: NOT well done (IMO), and I have additional issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Casey, looks good, but are you planning to cover the bars? In my past aviation years, any buss bars had protective covers to prevent inadvertent shocks.
Otherwise well done.
I strongly agree (with Kidkraz), with the "bus bars" must have protective insulation on all sides. But I see additional "issues" in these pictures:
  1. The "bus bars" have insufficient cross-section to support the loads implied by the attached wire sizes (too thin, and they should probably have been coated anyway).
  2. Although you may have considerable "trust" in the overall protection provided by the BMS units of these batteries packs, BMS units are TOO SLOW to protect from from sudden short circuit situations. You need to add a class-T "fast response" fuse to provide that protection. You can consider one fuse (maybe in the range 350A - 450A) for both batteries in parallel, or (better!) you can [protect each battery with its own fuse each matching the PEAK.output whi h I attach, for your reference a photo of a decent fuse and fuse holder, in which you might note the size of bus bars needed for a 300A connection: nearly 1" wide, 1/4" tall, pure OFC copper which has been COATED. This fuse holder is about 7" long, 2" wide, 2-1/4" tall. "bigger" one are even larger.
  3. Your vast number of smaller wires, many "magically looping" to or from the WFCO fuse board out of sight and unlabeled, is confusing (and therefore dangerous). You should add an additional DC fuse board in this area, connecting all the "smaller" 12v wires on individual fuses, drawing power form the main bus through another (larger) fuse. This cheap Amazon one supports 100A max current, with either 6 or 12 downstream fuses and connectors: https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Negat.../dp/B08XWQHMZJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fast Class-T 300A.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	23212