TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Plastic Experts ? (cracked polypropylene toilet cover)

I noticed a 1.5 inch crack in the polypropylene rim of our thetford toilet. The crack exists at the point where one of the toilet seat "feet" contacts the rim (see photo). The polypropylene is thinly constructed and lacks support at the point of the crack. The area can be deflected with minimal force.

I'd sure hope that my 200 lbs & 6 ft 1 inch frame -- is not an excessive load. My wife has made it clear that I'd better not blame her -- since she weighs 1/3 less.

So, all blame aside -- I'm considering repair options. I once stopped a crack in the frame of my Jeep CJ5 by drilling small holes at each end of a crack. Do you think this might be helpful with polypropylene ? I also have to pull the toilet to replace a slide valve seal -- so I was thinking that I'd try to reinforce the area with some kind of polypropylene strip and plastic adhesive.

I could shop around for a used rim but that could be a pain in the "a$$", and I don't want to "waste" my time with a repair that's likely to fail.

Any plastic experts around ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack beneath Seat.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5045