TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default How Do You Keep The Tm Cool In Hot Weather When Dry Camping?

OK, I've gotten sooo much great info from folks on this site. In this age of Global warming, anyone got some pearls of wisdom on how to keep the TM cool in extreme heat when dry camping....without a generator..or shade?
Cheri
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I recall reading a post about someone who kept their velcro flaps lifted up onto the walls when it was really hot to get more air flow.

How about tinting the windows? Or use a separate, outside dining canopy to sit in with the dogs with mesh walls? I bought one of those to keep our cat in but she kept trying to get out under the walls. Perhaps if there was a floor attached it would be more effective, or could you keep them on a leash? DC doesn't do well on a harness so that didn't work for us.

Do you have an awning you could sit under? Or maybe just one of those popup canopies without walls?

Do you want the dogs to be inside so they calm down, or ?

I'm thinking also about your other post about wanting to keep the dogs inside between trials...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Basically I am looking for the magic answer to daytime climate control inside the TM when there is no shore power.
We compete with them and the sites are college campuses, fairgrounds, soccer fields, things like that.
It's during the day between runs that I am concerned with.
Some agility dogs (read, mine) get too excited if they are near all the action. They can wear themselves out without even running. They are much more relaxed in the trailer and it keeps me from setting up canopies and crating (another 45 min in the breaking camp business), if I can keep them in the trailer.
It's rare that we compete in extreme heat but I sure would like an option for when we do.
And I do put sun screens in the windows. It helps some
Cheri
Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Open windows on the shady side. Open the roof vent that has the fan and run fan on high. Keep other roof vent closed, because it is in the sun.

If my free standing canopy was just a little taller I could put it over the top of the TM.

If the humidity is low then a swamp cooler might be feasible. I used o have a free standing portable one many years ago.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Cheri,

Although I use the A/C most of the time, I found the following items help:

1) White reflects heat, keep the roof clean.

2) Install a 'MaxAir Fan/Mate Model 800' over the exhaust fan vent.

3) Install a 'MaxAir Translucent White Roof Vent Cover' over the roof vent.

4) Replace the white roof vent cap with an 'Acrylic Vent Cap in Smoke Color'.

The combination of white vent cover and smoke vent cap will block the sun's heat from the interior without loosing the natural light.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
2bcs1jrt

all great ideas. I, however have a small, old TM. The only thing I have is an after market fantastic fan which helps. No vents or exaust fans up there.

Thanks
Cheri
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Hi, That post about lifting the flaps might have been mine. We put up the flaps and I made nylon mesh 'screens' that attach to the existing velcro. It works quite nicely. I made a screen for the top half of the door, too. I modified a purchase (some junky catalog) screen door with a weighted bottom for the full door opening. It was a hot day in St. Louis today as we readied the TM for an upcoming departure. Had all of the windows, flaps and entry door open, plus the vent fan. [We were on shore power at home]. We boondock most of the time find that this really helps. Good luck, Olga Smith, Northwoods, Florissant, MO
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
BrigCA61

I've seen personal misters that run off batteries that you could try. Just did a search online for cooling products and found this that might work to help cool you off a bit: http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=44186 I've also seen small battery operated fans (misters?) that hook onto crates. We used to camp remotely in the desert where it was over 110 degrees (we were much younger then too) and would simply soak a tee shirt in water and wear it - it really did help!

Great topic by the way... I generally try to avoid camping in the TM when it's too hot and there is no elect hookups - our dogs are too spoiled being in AC all the time! lol The times when it was hot outside and we didn't have AC, I would fill a spray bottle with ice water and mist them... it seemed to help. The addition of a small battery operated fan on the floor would also greatly help cool them off while misted.

Brigitte
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
2bcs1jrt

Yes , the flap thing is an interesting idea. The misters are good outside but not inside. Those little crate fans don't push any air and freak my dogs out with the noise.
Im hoping someone is going to chime in with a real fan that is self contained or solar or runs off a 12 v portable battery that actually has some power. Now THAT would be a find!
Giving up on the AC concept.
Cheri
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
BrigCA61

Here ya go... solar powered vent/fan:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/sunsolpowven.html

Not sure how effective this is. You may just have to buy one of the Honda generators and run it while running a more powerful fan inside your TM.