TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
SSpeed

Default Awning question

Is it possible to remove the Awning off the trailermanor's, and if so, how difficult do you think it would be? Im wondering this due to my garage width. I read that the awning adds about 5 inches to the width of the trailer, and with it, would be cutting it pretty close to getting the thing in the garage.

Thanks for helping.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't think that it adds anywhere near 5 inches to the width of the trailer. If you use the Search tool on the word "awning +width", you should find discussion, including pictures. But it really doesn't stick out very much beyond the other protruding points, such as lights.

I'll get a picture tomorrow if I can. But please look for the previous discussion.

It is, of course, possible to remove it, and then caulk the screw holes. But putting it back will be tricky. It is not something you could do on a day-by-day or trip-by-trip basis.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Oh, we've got lots to talk about! I'm in the same situation, my TM only fits in my garage by removing the awning (it goes back on just fine) as well as swapping the side courtesy lights (2 on the curbside and 1 on the street side) with lower profile LED fixtures. Removing the awning alone gave me around 2 inches, because the lights also stick out. Each fixture replacement was another inch per side. So now, the corner clasps are the widest point, and I leave those open whilst bringing the TM in and out.

I have posted a picture on another thread of the awning modification. There are 8 screws that hold it onto the side of the TM. That and a lot of caulk. So, unwind the awning, unscrew the screws, have a helper lift and peel away the caulk. Once the awning is off, you'll see the weight rests on metal brackets, and the screws were just to prevent it from pulling away or flipping off the top. So, two little slide bolts later (seen in the photo) and the awning is as stable as stock. Removal is a simple flick of the two bolts, and then I flip it onto the roof. Reinstallation is a simple reversal, and I can make the manipulation by myself. It can most certainly be done for a trip-by-trip on/off, since that's exactly what I do

I don't think there's any real need to caulk those holes; they open into the same space that the weepholes do, so they're really just like more weepholes...

Search on my name for the photo, else I'll find it for you. As spring more fully arrives and I pull the TM out for work, I'll take more pics to show you more of what we did, and how it just fits in it's space.

Ah, here's the post with the photos. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...9&postcount=71
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

@ThePair Good one! I am really impressed! That is what i would call determined problem solving.

Tim
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up That is an

elegant fix

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
SSpeed

Do you happen to know what brand or where you got the LED lights you used as replacements? If not going the LED light route, couldnt you just remove the lights as well, and set them off to the side until the next outing?

I like the awning idea, but still having a hard time telling what you did to fix it. I do feel a little better knowing it can be removed.

I havent actually seen one of these trailers in person yet. I just going by what pictures I see, and info I can gather online at the moment. Still trying to decide if this type of trailer is good for the family.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I certainly stand corrected about not taking it on-off on a trip-by-trip basis. That's very impressive, ThePair! When I said "can't do it", I guess I meant on a more practical basis. But in some cases, a great need outweighs "practicality", and you've found a solution. Good for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the kind comments.

Realistically, if I couldn't figure out how to fit it into the single garage, we weren't going to get the TM, or any camper for that matter. I couldn't stand the thought of paying $150-200 or more monthly for storage (the going rate in my area) and not having it easily accessible. Also, my wife bet me it would never fit, so there was the motivation

I will try to recall the source for the LED lights. If I can't find it easily, I know how to contact the guy that gave me the info--I'll post it when I have it.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
moaboy

Yea it is amazing the motivation that is inspired when one's spouse says "you can't make that happen!"

anyway, I too would like more info on the outside LED lights when you get it.

thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
SSpeed

ThePair,
Did you ever find the make/model of the led lights you used? Im going to have to replace mine, since I took it off to get the trailer in the garage.