TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Maxine_51334

Default Chair and sofa cushions

I called a shop today to see what it would cost to replace the foam in the sofa. The guy said just am estimate,but $300. What !! For 2 pieces of foam !The cushions have zippers so I think I should be able to get foam,cut and replace. I am sure some of you have done that. So any helpful hints and tips would be great.
Now the chair is another story. All the filling is at the bottom of the back. We put a pillow in the chair to lean against. My question, the guy said the chair would cost approx $200 to fix. Has anyone done this themselves ? Heck I think I can get a cheap lazyboy for $200 on sale or clearance.
Thoughts ?
The favbric is is very good shape so I don't want to ruin that. I just qant to spruce up the furniture so it is comfy !
Thanks !

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

TV 2003 Ford F150 SuperCab 4x4
Maxine_51334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Here in Phoenix, there is a place that I call "Foams R Us". It is down by the tracks in the industrial section of town. They are the wholesale provider of cut-to-size foam to the furniture manufacturers in the area. Although they are strictly an industrial wholesale kind of place, I walked in one day, and found the front office people to be very pleasant and helpful. They cut the foam pieces I needed in less than half an hour, accepted a little bit of my cash (it is not retail, so no credit cards), and I was on my way.

Any city big enough to have a few furniture manufacturers ought to have a similar place. For you it might be Sioux City? Des Moines? You just have to sniff it out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine_51334 View Post
I called a shop today to see what it would cost to replace the foam in the sofa. The guy said just am estimate,but $300. What !! For 2 pieces of foam !The cushions have zippers so I think I should be able to get foam,cut and replace. I am sure some of you have done that. So any helpful hints and tips would be great.
Now the chair is another story. All the filling is at the bottom of the back. We put a pillow in the chair to lean against. My question, the guy said the chair would cost approx $200 to fix. Has anyone done this themselves ? Heck I think I can get a cheap lazyboy for $200 on sale or clearance.
Thoughts ?
The favbric is is very good shape so I don't want to ruin that. I just qant to spruce up the furniture so it is comfy !
Thanks !
Hi -

You are on the right track as far as the chair goes. We got a La-z-Boy for our TM and the wife just loves it and me too.. Pull the back off and the TM closes just perfect, best move we ever made $200.00 on sale the smallest one they make... Our chair weights the same as the TM chair that comes with the TM, 60 lbs and wonderful to sit in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair-low.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	7949  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Maxine_51334

Thanks guys.
I am thinking a new chair will be the way to go.
After all, need comfy furniture to enjoy the Bose Solo and new LED tv DH got me for the TM.

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here in Phoenix, there is a place that I call "Foams R Us". It is down by the tracks in the industrial section of town. They are the wholesale provider of cut-to-size foam to the furniture manufacturers in the area. Although they are strictly an industrial wholesale kind of place, I walked in one day, and found the front office people to be very pleasant and helpful. They cut the foam pieces I needed in less than half an hour, accepted a little bit of my cash (it is not retail, so no credit cards), and I was on my way.

Any city big enough to have a few furniture manufacturers ought to have a similar place. For you it might be Sioux City? Des Moines? You just have to sniff it out.

Bill
Bill We are going to Phoenix this weekend (grandchild sporting event) and I might see about new foam for our Elkmont--But I googled Foams R Us and no luck---can you give us more info? Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Rio Dan

To the original post: Our chair was the same way. A local guy looked at it and quoted me $75. I thought that was a bargain and had him go ahead. A couple days later it was done and looked and sat much better. The guy said it was three times the work he expected. Said its not put together like conventional chairs. I offered him more money but he wouldn't take it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Beak12 posted
Quote:
We are going to Phoenix this weekend and I might see about new foam for our Elkmont--But I googled Foams R Us and no luck---can you give us more info?
Beak12

My attempts at humor sometimes miss the mark. The name "Foams R Us" was my tongue-in-cheek name for a place that has all kinds of foam "toys". "Foams-R-Us" is a very retail-y name, and this was a very wholesale-y place, so no, you won't find anything under that name in the phone book.

I found this place when I bought my first solar panels in 2004. I needed some padding for the carrying cases I made for the panels. You'll see the mention in post #35 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1034

At this point, I have no record of specifically where I bought the foam. So this morning I simply Googled "foam Phoenix", and got a ton of hits. Weeding out entries for "automotive", "design center", "home insulation", and so forth, I'm thinking it might have been Flex Foam on 21st Ave in Phoenix. Zooming in on the satellite view shows that this is near the railroad tracks in the warehouse district, which is what I remember. There are others, so don't limit yourself if this is not it.

You say you will be in Phoenix for the weekend. This being an industrial outfit, I'm not at all sure that they will be open on the weekend. Be sure to call ahead. If you do go to visit them, be prepared with exact measurements of the pieces you want. They cut foam, they don't do design support. What intrigued me was that they had a couple dozen kinds of foam - open-cell, closed-cell, varying degrees of memory, in a variety of firmnesses ranging from uselessly-soft to uselessly-hard. You will have to choose which one you want - again, they don't do design support, so they won't recommend. They can give you sample pieces of all of them to squish in your hand, but if you can bring in a sample of what you want, it will help you choose.

The real point is that if a city is large enough to have a furniture manufacturer or two, it will have a foam cutter to support that manufacturer. Finished foam is hard to ship because it is so bulky, so inflating the foam and cutting it locally makes sense.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Maxine_51334

Ok,call me blonde..I just found out therer is storage under the chair. Found that info in a very old post. Wow,learn something everyday. Good to know,now the darn shoes can get out of the doorway !

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Replacement foam for furniture comes in different grades and the price can be different just based on how long it will last and how it keeps its cushion qualities. I had the bed and seat bottom cushions done and it was over $500.

The foam is a petroleum product and the price changes almost as fast as gas prices.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
brulaz

I read somewhere that the heaviest (densest) foam will resist compression the longest. So if you're sitting on it most of the day in front of computer, that's what you want: the dense stuff.

Sound right?