TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2001, 02:29 PM   #1
hal

Default Spare tire cover (blue or chrome)

Do you realize that you all have a spare tire cover that is chrome in color.  Does it look blue to you?  That is because you haven't pealed the protective coating off of it.

If your trailer is older, it may not peal as easily as it could have been "baked" on.   :  
Old 10-23-2001, 12:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Spare tire cover (blue or chrome)

Hal, this is hilarious!  The metallic blue is actually not bad looking, but I have always been puzzled why TM chose that particular color for the spare tire coverr ???  But, thanks to YOU, now the mystery is solved.  (Going to try to peel it off tomorrow.)  Thanks!

PS--how did you figure this out?
Old 10-24-2001, 12:39 PM   #3

And I was upset when I accidently scratched through the blue covering!!

Thanks for exposing this for what it is.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:10 AM   #4
arknoah

You know, I actually kind of like the blue color better than chrome....

F. J. & Ellen
Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Firefly

Default Re:Spare tire cover (blue or chrome)

Oh my gosh! That is so funny!

As I have mentioned on this board before...My husband and I just bought our "new to us" TM in October and stuck it in storage. We haven't even camped in it yet.

I told my husband.."isn't that a funny color for the spare tire cover"??? "Were they trying to match the blue trim and it faded"? haha ???

Wait until I tell him about this! Heck..ours is 2001 model and it probably IS baked on! Can't wait until April to find out!

Thanks for the tip though!!

Tami
Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

We were amused as well, but haven't tried to peel our '98 vintage blue film off. Anybody done it? Any tricks we should know about?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=G-V_Driver link=board=7;threadid=972;start=msg11402#msg11402 date=1074373438]
We were amused as well, but haven't tried to peel our '98 vintage blue film off. Anybody done it? Any tricks we should know about?
[/quote]
The general trick to removing films, decals, bumper stickers, etc. is to gently warm them with a hair dryer and is best done on a warmish day in full sunshine. The plastic becomes more pliable and the underlying adhesive usually softens with heat. Don't overdo it though...the paint can be damaged if you get things too hot. Once the film is removed, any remaining adhesive can be removed with a general purpose product like GooGone or one made especially for automotive type finishes like 3M Bug, Tar and Adhesive Remover (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/autobody...dtarwaxre.html)
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

We'll try it on a suitable day. Tried peeling today, and found that to be tedious and non-productive. Out of curiosity, does anybody know why TM decided to make the big round fiberglass cover (the insert) that funny yellowed color?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

I don't know why your insert for the spare tire is a yellowish color. The one I had on my 1994 3326 was white, and the same is true with the insert on the 2002 3326. I know that they caution you on what you clean the outside shower door with because it will discolor it. Maybe this is what happened to your spare tire insert???

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #10
azroadrunner

The insert on my 1997 3124KS has also yellowed. I know that it was originally white because where the chrome ring overlaps it is still white. So, I guess it has yellowed from age and/or exposure to the sun. One of these days I plan to paint it.

Jim