TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Thanks for posting that manual and diagram.

I didn't realize that the pump was a "Submerged" pump. Now it makes sense that the pump will pump water both directions.

The diagram doesn't make it clear how the water is directed into the bowl. Is it in the casting of the bowl or are there hoses involved?

Our toilet is 10-years-old and it pumps a tremendous amount of water. I was actually kinda startled the first time that I flushed it.

I lived on my yacht for 14 years and used a similar type (dry bowl) toilet. Here's a couple tips when using a dry bowl toilet:

Before using, wet the bowl by running the pump for a couple seconds. It is also helpful to place T/P inside the bowl before using. It makes everything flush easier and cleaner.

When we first bought our TM, the toilet bowl was a little rough. I cleaned and waxed the inside of the bowl. Everything slides easily now.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Scott O

Thanks for the update Chris. I have a little different feel for the problem now. A couple of things come to mind...

If a new TM, are you working with the dealer or someone else? With such lousy service I'm sure folks on this forum would like to know who it is so we can avoid this business. This is not rocket science and the thing is not working correctly. You deserve to get it fixed in a timely manner.

When ours was not working correctly, flush water only came out of half the rim, and not at too high a volume. I didn't see my dealer fix it, but the entire process took about 20 minutes and it has worked fine since. Flow should be all around the rim as sufficient volume to complete the flush. Maybe someone who has access to their toilet, has a compact camera that can take short movies, and knows how to post on YouTube could take a 15 second or so movie of the thing flushing so you can see how it is supposed to work. I would do it but our TM is in the garage and not likely to be out until after the holidays. Good luck and please continue to keep us posted...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #23
Tuscany Bandit

Wayne,

Great idea to wax the bowl to make it slippery! I will do that to mine! Thanks!

Jerry
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
nonichris

We sprayed the bowl also with a teflon spray, and that does help, but it has to be repeated frequently. The local Thetford rep is in Santa Rosa and Ukiah California, and he is a mobile RV repair person. Our dealer is RV Brokers, and we have not taken the toilet problem to them, mainly because of their location in mid Sacramento, a difficult place for us to get to. We thought the toilet problem could be solved locally...not knowing that might limit who we could take it to. We think now that the original pump was probably perfectly fine, since the replacement pump works exactly the same way..and that the local service guy was mistaken about the problem and now is covering for his errors with Thetford...probably has told them we don't know what we are talking about...but we are not quite as dumb as he may think...we will get to the "bottom" of it with the support of the TM Forum
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #25
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Excellent idea of posting a video, Scott. We are getting ready to go to the Grand Canyon (we're hiking down to the river), so our TM is up and the toilet is charged. Here is the video....grab some popcorn and enjoy!

http://albums.phanfare.com/video/4;4...713954e9f4ce21

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #26
Tuscany Bandit

Dave,

Perfect...that is the way it should work (as does mine).
Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Excellent idea of posting a video, Scott. We are getting ready to go to the Grand Canyon (we're hiking down to the river), so our TM is up and the toilet is charged. Here is the video....grab some popcorn and enjoy!

http://albums.phanfare.com/video/4;4...713954e9f4ce21

Dave
That's too cool. How'd you do that?

That's exactly how ours works too. You feel kinda like....if you stand too close, you may get sucked in..
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #28
nonichris

OMG; our toilet looks nothing like that...no water at all except in the very back...no circling of water at all..no real pressure...thank you so very much..no wonder the tp doesn't go down in ours..nothing there to push it down!!! The video looks like what we thought it should look like....
Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #29
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonichris View Post
OMG; our toilet looks nothing like that...no water at all except in the very back...no circling of water at all..no real pressure...thank you so very much..no wonder the tp doesn't go down in ours..nothing there to push it down!!! The video looks like what we thought it should look like....
You should email that video clip to your repair tech and say, "Why doesn't mine do that?"
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #30
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

So it sounds obvious now you have a problem.

Sometimes (actually, it seems more often than sometimes), it's easier and better to do it yourself than to hire someone else to do it, especially when you have already exerted so much effort into trying to get someone else to fix it, and what you're dealing with isn't a life or death device. I have zero formal vocational training, and for some reason, I find myself frequently giving advice to contractors, particularly auto mechanics and plumbers. Not on everything, of course, but little bits here and there....like making there there are no tools next to the fan belt before closing the hood and sending me off....and suggesting that perhaps it's a good idea to drain the old 50-gallon water heater before trying to drag it out of the basement. The only reason I do it is so that I don't have to do over what I paid them to do, or deal with some other negative consequence.

The toilet may look big and intimidating, but it really is a very simple device. It's just a glorified bucket. I understand you may not be the handiness folks around, but neither were any of us until we started trying to fix stuff.

If I were in your shoes, I'd print out the toilet diagram at the Thetford site above for easy reference. There are literally just 4 phillips screws required to access the guts of the toilet, which have been described here. It would literally take you less than 5 minutes to pull it apart. Once inside, explore around a bit so you can figure out how the thing works and also where all the water flows (so you can tell us ). I expect that whatever the problem is will be obvious once you look inside and learn where the water flow is.

And a very nice thing about learning how stuff on your TM works (and your car too) is that when you are out in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night, and something breaks, you are not nearly as dependent on someone else to get you out of a jam.

So if you do decide to venture under the lid, just pay attention to what you take apart, take your time, don't force anything, and if you need help, come back here.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote