TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
retiredgoat

Default Battery placement

Hello All,

I just purchased an AGM UB121100 (Group 30H) battery and wanted to place it closer to the converter to:
1.) Open space in the rear compartment.
2.) Make the line drop as little as possible.
3.) Close proximity for solar setup later on.

My question is it safe for an AGM inside the trailer really? Is a vent needed or just smart to have in place?

I have the 33/26 w/dinette and it has a space under the aft seat that is not used as much and after checking it can open up down to the floor so tall enough along with enough space to work on it if needed.

I'm looking for all inputs so it will not be a waste of time/materiel in the end.

BTW I'm keeping the original wiring in place to convert back at a later time if needed.

Thanks in advance
Bob
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgoat View Post
Hello All,

I just purchased an AGM UB121100 (Group 30H) battery and wanted to place it closer to the converter to:
1.) Open space in the rear compartment.
2.) Make the line drop as little as possible.
3.) Close proximity for solar setup later on.

My question is it safe for an AGM inside the trailer really? Is a vent needed or just smart to have in place?

I have the 33/26 w/dinette and it has a space under the aft seat that is not used as much and after checking it can open up down to the floor so tall enough along with enough space to work on it if needed.

I'm looking for all inputs so it will not be a waste of time/materiel in the end.

BTW I'm keeping the original wiring in place to convert back at a later time if needed.

Thanks in advance
Bob
The AGM batteries still off-gas but not nearly as much as the "wet" batteries. AGM batteries are often used in confined spaces and they can be mounted in any direction. I think that if I were to install one in a cabinet, I might consider drilling a 1" hole in the floor.

People mount them in sailboats in all sorts of places and I've never heard of an issue with them.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
retiredgoat

Thanks HarveyRV, that's great advice and sound input.

Thanks again
Bob