TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
saltamonte

Default Carrying Honda Generators

I bought two Honda 2000 watt generators and have them outfitted with the parallel kit. This supplies plenty of power for my 2007 2720 SL, as many have already discovered from reading the forum postings.

My problem is finding an efficient way to carry these generators. I don't want to carry them in the trailer or TV if I can find a better way. My TV is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner with a Surco Safari roof rack. Yesterday I lifted both generators onto the roof rack and securely strapped them down.

This method of carrying them will work, but its really a pain and I mean that literally. Today I'm so sore from lifting them up onto the rack and manhandling them that I'm determined to find a better way. Maybe our friendly, knowledgeable TrailManor community forum can help with suggestions.

I'm not interested in a permanent mounting where I run the generators from where they're mounted. What I'm looking for is a place to mount them for transport only. When I arrive at my destination I would then unmount them and set them up at some convenient location on the ground to operate them.

I have a very strong front bull bar on my TV, but mounting them here is impossible because of how they would block the headlights. Using the receiver hitch on the rear of my TM is really pushing the safety limit and I use this for my bicycle anyway.

I'm exploring ways to mount them on the trailer tongue and I'm wondering if anyone has done this successfully. A permanent mount here would be impossible of course because they would obstruct the movement of the slide out on my 2720 SL.

I have a folding hitch and I was going to meet with a metal fabricator/welder to see if something could be built that would hold the generators in a tray on each side of the tongue. I would then strap them down for transport and then take everything off the tongue including the mounting trays and then set up the generators on the ground alongside the unit to operate them for electrical power.

If this is unfeasible I suppose I'll be relegated to carrying them inside my TM, TV or on the roof of my TV - not looking forward to that one - ouch!

I know there must be someone out there that's encountered a similar dilemma and solved it. Hopefully someone will have some good suggestions for me in the coming days.

2007 2720 SL
Duel 6V Batteries
Electric Stabilizers
Prodigy Brake Controller
2002 4Runner 4x4 Ltd.
Supercharged
TJM Bull Bar w/
9000 lb Warn Winch