TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
rjlwork

Default Leak under kitchen sink

We're just back from our 4th outing in our new Trailmini. On the initial trip home, we found a leak around the drain in the sink. At home this was sealed and everything has been fine for 2 more trips out. This time, I'm getting water in the same area but can't find anything wet in the plumbing lines, around the drain or under the faucet fittings. Luckily, I have a large oval plastic tray under this area which has been catching the water! The refrigerator is to the left of the sink cabinet and we looked at that as a possibility. No moisture.

We had a very rainy Friday night and somewhat soggy Saturday; It was 39 degrees last night so we had alot of condensation inside with the heat running. Is it possible that is the cause? It was at least 1/4-1/2 cup of water in the tray. Where else do we look? It's extremely cramped getting under the sink so there is no visual of the faucet connections. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendevous TV
Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Check to make sure the sink sprayer end is screwed on tight. If it is lose it could leak and run down the hose. Also check the large nut on the sink strainer under the sink.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
rjlwork

Unfortunately, the trailmini doesn't have a sprayer. None of the fittings were wet either. Any other ideas?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Is it possible that the faucet is leaking underneath its mounting plate but ABOVE the sink. Then the water drips down through the large hole in the sink hidden by the faucet that is there to mount a different style faucet. But since the faucet is sealed to the sink by a gasket, it doesn't drop out into the sink for you to see.

Also, if you aren't using a mirror to look at the fittings, you haven't checked them all. A mirror is the only way you can see the fittings that screw the supply lines onto the faucet, or see if the faucet is leaking above the sink. I had a small leak once where the faucet connector nut was crimped into the PEX. It was not very easy to find because it was out of the way and because it was so slow. IIRC, I want to say it only leaked when the faucet was running, (vs when the faucet was off and the pump was on, pressurizing the system) which I found odd because there should be less pressure in the line with the faucet open.

BTW, since your unit is still under warranty, why not just take it to the dealer? Too far away?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
rjlwork

Thanks for your thoughts Dave. It's possible we'll have to take it to the area dealer. We were hoping to fix it ourselves, but it might be a good idea to check the whole unit over before we store it for the winter. They are a new dealer, so I'm not too sure how experienced they are with the Trailmanors. That was partially why we didn't purhase from them. I know the mini had them perplexed when we went there to shop for one. It is a new model so everyone is getting used to it's idiosyncrasies.

I've got a call in to the factory, but Ed is on vacation this week. I'm sure someone will be in touch soon. I do think we'll get that mirror out when we bring it home this weekend. It's a pretty funny sight; laying on the floor, with your legs out the door onto the back porch just to see under the sink!

Thanks again for your input!
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendevous TV
Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
rjlwork

Well the factory call is to take it to the dealer for a pressure test. So we'll be dropping it off this Friday, when I can get there before closing time. They're hoping they have all the parts they need for whatever is wrong. We'll see.....

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendevous TV
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Just a thought...is your fresh water tank under the sink? Mine is but I have no idea where it is on the trail mini. If it is and you over fill it a lil bit and get to close to the top as you travel it can slosh out.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
rjlwork

Good thought, but no; it's under the couch/bed with all of the other mechanicals. I do think it has something to do with the faucet like Shrimpburrito suggested. It's nearly impossible to reach back in there, much less see. I'm not sure if using the water pump would make a difference either. I accidently had it turned on even though we were hooked up to city water for awhile.
Not sure if the pressure is greater using the pump or using city water; maybe it is too much for the faucet compression fittings. The engineer (Michael) at the factory was stumped. That's why he recommended the pressure test. Hope that solves the problem.

Other than that, we're really happy with the operation of everything. The furnace is too noisy for me (sleeping on the couch above it), so I used a portable heater this past weekend; worked much better. We've been using full hook-ups to learn our way around but will be dry camping next year at the Nascar races. That should pose some new challenges. Still haven't decided on a generator setup yet. Ron wants one that'll run everything, rather than just a few electricals. I'm put off by the size of them, we'd have to transport on the rear deck and I'm not sure about lifting it off to put it on the ground to run. That, plus the smell of gas in the trailer while transporting are both negatives. Still researching.

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendevous TV
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
rumbleweed

If you are connected to shore water and turn on the pump, nothing should happen as the pressure in the lines would be high enough activate the reverse flow valve and pressure sensing switch and the pump should not even run. One question, how high is the water pressure in the external source. RV plumbing is not able to withstand the same pressures as your household system can. You should always have a pressure reducer inline when connected to shore water. It is possible that your leak is simply related to high water pressure.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
rjlwork

The verdict is in, the leak has been found. took the trailmini to the dealer and they just called to say it was leaking from the drain to the trap. It's plastic piping and there was no glue on any of the pieces! We had originally found the drain not siliconed into place in the sink and now there's no glue in the pipes from the sink drain down. Looks as if someone missed a step at the factory and the dealership that did the prep. I feel very lucky that's all it was and that it was easy to fix. We're headed out again this weekend and I was nervous it wouldn't be ready.
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous