TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
TMX4ADV

Default WEN 56200i Generator

Ok,

Doing some research and the WEN 56200i is very similar to the Honda and Yamaha offerings. Quality appears to also be on par.

The issue is that the Generator may or may not run the AC. My hunch is that 2 will be necessary to run the AC...

The AC, fans and lights are really the only appliances on my 1997 3023 that will require generator power.

I think I am going to go ahead and order one but would like any input anyone has.

Thanks,

Andrew
TMX4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMX4ADV View Post
Ok,

Doing some research and the WEN 56200i is very similar to the Honda and Yamaha offerings. Quality appears to also be on par.

The issue is that the Generator may or may not run the AC. My hunch is that 2 will be necessary to run the AC...

The AC, fans and lights are really the only appliances on my 1997 3023 that will require generator power.

I think I am going to go ahead and order one but would like any input anyone has.

Thanks,

Andrew
Yes, two will be needed unless you install a soft start kit for the AC. And even with a soft start kit the AC running wattage can have a 2kW generator close to capacity. A single 2kW generator is a great thing to have, except for the air conditioner load.

Also, look at the parts and repair network. A Yamaha or Honda generator if you're traveling and you have a problem there's a huge network.

Another thing I looked at when buying a generator is availability of a propane conversion kit, dual fuel.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have been doing a lot of studying of the subject since I suffered through a week at Sun'n'Fun in 2014 at 90F+ and the 2500W inverter/generator would not start my AC.

Flipflop is right, even if you have a soft start device so a 2KW gen can start the AC, it will be at 90% of capacity (my AC pulls 1440W running) and you are not supposed to run over 80% long term. So you need something rated at least at 1800W continuous just for the AC.. Fagedabout charging the batteries, running the microwave, or even a TV/laptop.

So last year my choice was a Westinghouse WH2400i (2400W/2100W). NP starting the AC and I also had 200W of solar plus a 1KW inverter to make my coffee (770W) while the AC was on.

The key is figuring out an energy budget to determine what you need and want and then identifying sources.

OK that was last year and if you wanted clean power to run "sensitive" electronics (laptops, tvs, charge cell phones) you needed an inverter generator and most advertised <3% THD (measure of how "clean" the power is, particularly important for COPD devices) and non-inverter generators (mainly open frame "contractor" devices - drills don't care) were running mostly 10-20%THD. That had been true since the first Honda inverter/generators at the end of the last century. Unfortunately they are still selling those same designs (and frankly my EU2000i bought in 2009 gave me more trouble than any of the others I had. The good part is there is a lot on the web about how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the carb.).

This year is different. The manufacturers have realized there is a big market for clean (enough) power for RVs that can run the AC and a number of inexpensive single stage (no inverter) 3KW-4KW class devices that are "RV ready" (have a 30A TT-30 plug and <5% THD which is "enough" for everything I have tried).

Pro: 3KW is enough for everything you want to do including running the AC (starts my 15,100 btuh with barely a grunt and no soft start) & are inexpensive (one I bought was $349.95 on Amazon)
Con: 17" is too wide for my rear compartment (2400 stores nicely), are heavy - 80 to 100 lbs (but have wheels which make them 4" wider), and thirsty (four gallon tank needed to run 12 hours)

Also the best ones are quiet, under 64DB, and have CARB, EPA, and Forest Service approval.

For more than you ever wanted to know, see my series of web pages on the subject. Keep in mind that this is evolution in progress and what we have today was not though possible (or very expensive) in 2014.

One thing I really do not understand is why the generator manufactures do not seem to have a clue how to market to the RV industry.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
TMX4ADV

Energy Needs:
A/C
Lights (all converted to LED)
Radio
charging (phones, iPad)
Fans (2 roof tops, 2 table tops)
Water Pump

Gas Power:
Water Heater
Oven
Stove Top
Refer

Power Currently Avail:
Battery (marine deep cycle)
Shore power

From what I gather 3000 watts start and 2500 running is about what I need to operate everything in the trailer. This is just above my needs actually but when comparing fuel consumption this is very economical.

Considering: Adding in some solar, improving batteries to 2 6V golf cart batteries.

Generator:
$795 Champion 75537i 3100 Watt - Remote Start * this seems to be the front runner. It is quieter, has remote start, uses less fuel, 2 year warranty, will run the AC. This would do well if an enclosure was made to help remove some sound and that would make it nearly silent from ~20Ft away.

$599 WH2400i, 2400 Watt ** Is the second place option.

$440 WEN 56200i 2000 Watt *** Is the third place option. Will do everything but run the AC.

These are good but very loud per some youtube research.
$594 Champion 100302 3500 Watt
$399 Champion 46539 3500 watt - Remote Start
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The 75537i is an older unit but I did not look at it because it is too wide to fit in my rear compartment (compartment is 14.5" wide) and with the remote start option weighs 96 lbs (more than I can lift).

I did buy a WH3250RVC which has both issues also a month ago because the claims were incredible but represented a clear move away from requiring an inverter to be clean enough power for an RV. Now I am seeing "RV Ready" almost everywhere and Champion has jumped in with both feet.

Looks like they are taking a $299 open frame generator 3KW continuous or better and adding about $50 in modern electronic filtering, fast response carbs, better mufflers and a TT-30 socket then getting a slew of camping bodies approval (EPA, CARB, Forest Service but have not seen RVIA) and selling for $350-$450, far less than the equivalent inverter/generator.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
mecicon
TrailManor Master

For availability, reliability, service, and reputation I'll stick with the Honda RV package. Even though it isn't the cheapest they have put together a nice package that is easy to move is fuel efficient and rather quiet.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
One thing I really do not understand is why the generator manufactures do not seem to have a clue how to market to the RV industry.
Because portable generators for RV use are 1% of the market. Emergency power and contractors are most of the market. Indeed, a lot of people who put a portable generator in their RV bought it with the expectation that they would be able to make emergency use of it as well. Want to find someone who markets to RVs? It's Cummins. Their Onan brand. They are all for permanent installation in larger RVs.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
TMX4ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
For availability, reliability, service, and reputation I'll stick with the Honda RV package. Even though it isn't the cheapest they have put together a nice package that is easy to move is fuel efficient and rather quiet.
What honda did you go with?

I ask because the Generator market has a large volume of Honda and Yamaha clones. The motors/units are darn near identical. Parts, service, etc. would be just about the same.

Champion/Wen also have a 3 year warranty with lifetime customer support. The feedback has been that all of the support has been good. With that sort of backing its hard to deny the value of that purchase vs a Honda/Yamaha.

Where the above fall flat on their face.... Resale value. They plummet to near nothing in a very short period. For me I would think that I got my monies worth in 5 years.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Interesting thought. Of course that may be because the market is largely untapped.

I found two residential generators (including portable) market reports online but the cheapest was 3000 euros. Of course even 1% of a billion dollar market is enough to be interesting.

BTW the Wen 56352 for $300 looks identical to the Westpro WH3250C even to the twist lock connector, the handle design, and the cover vent design. No mention of THD, suspect is why $50 cheaper. Would not be surprised if other similar ones, differences are confined to the electronics and muffliers (the bigger the muffler the better).

My point is that Honda (and Yamaha) invented the Generator/Inverter concept nearly 20 years ago and have made very little change. For much of that time if you dry camped, you just did not use the AC unless you had an Onan (my friend's '77 GMC has an Onan).

This decade the market has changed. People have much more "sensitive" electronics and only for the last three years has dry camping with AC using something both quiet and you can lift been possible. This opens the whole world of small RVs and pop-up campers while the 40 foot hundred grand behemoths are quietly rusting on lots. The world is changing.

Someday when it time to stop playing with technology I'll write an autobiography but most would think fiction.

ps was just looking at the manuals for the WEN. It shows the correct air cleaner assembly with a screw at the bottom while for the 3250 WH shows the wrong one in its manual (page 27). Its a small small world.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
What honda did you go with?
Honda EU2000i and EU2000

Quote:
I ask because the Generator market has a large volume of Honda and Yamaha clones. The motors/units are darn near identical. Parts, service, etc. would be just about the same.

Champion/Wen also have a 3 year warranty with lifetime customer support. The feedback has been that all of the support has been good. With that sort of backing its hard to deny the value of that purchase vs a Honda/Yamaha.
I prefer Honda...vehicles had about 6... mowers at least 2...everything but their motorcycles.

Quote:
Where the above fall flat on their face.... Resale value. They plummet to near nothing in a very short period. For me I would think that I got my monies worth in 5 years.
My other generator is about 8 years old 3250 W but so heavy without wheels. It was time to upgrade.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote