TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Need some encouragement here..

The family has been waiting all summer long for DH to get ready to go on vacation. So far, he doesn't think that he can get away. So the kids and I think that we want to go camping on our own. We only have 2 weeks left before school starts.

I have no problem driving the TM forward, hitching it up, dumping, hooking up the utilites, opening/closing, etc. but I have a really hard time backing it up. It's the only thing I can't do well. The place we want to go is challenging to park, even for DH, who is pretty good at it.

If you were camping and there was someone in need of some help parking the TM, would you help? I don't intend to ask anyone to drive the truck & trailer, but I just need some guidance backing into the site. The kids don't help much (I've tried once before, they just kind of waved their arms around and shouted things at me that didn't make any sense and I did finally manage to get into the site, but it took almost 10 minutes).

Other than that, I'm completely comfortable going off on our own.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

Every campground I have ever been in has at least one wanna be knight (in addition to me) waiting to aid a damsel in distress. Don't be afraid to ask if there is anyone who wouldn't mind helping guide you in. I am willing to bet that you will not have to resort to crocodile tears and being at your wits end to get someone to step forward....I would.

Bill
Old 07-27-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

Let me chime in and say, Go For It. Backing only takes a few minutes, and think of the enjoyment you'll have after that. Like the others, I am always willing to help other campers in any way I can, and have needed help myself on occasion. There always seems to be a helpful camper handy. Happy Camping
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
rockerga

I think it's Nike's ad that says: "JUST DO IT!" If it is as hard as you think then as others have chimed-in there will no doubt be someone (as I would) be willing to assist you. What is a few minutes of nervousness compared to a week of enjoyment....

ENJOY YOUR VACATION!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for your words of support. It would be a good idea to practice somewhere if I could find a place big enough! We're still up in the air about whether we should take the trailer somewhere, do a road trip in my little car to visit relatives, or the kids & I do the road trip & meet DH with the trailer towards the end of the trip. I guess I'll know where we're going when we leave.....
Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
PopBeavers

If you can not trust your kids to provide helpful information then tell them that all you need to know is when you are about to hit something. Keep your windows all rolled down and tell them to yell stop before it becomes too late.

Take your time and get out as often as necessary to see where you are compared to all of the obstacles.

One trick I use sometimes is to use a two pass approach:

- for the first pass just try to back the TM into the general space, especially if you are negotiating around a turn into the site.

- for the second pass you are fine tuning the placement of the TM into the exact spot you want to be in.

I'm pretty good at backing, but it sometimes will take me several iterations of pass two to get the TM exactly where I want it. Sometimes I can be pretty picky about a few inches.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
Place both hands on the steering wheel at the six O'clock position. Both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel...
Watch out both sides using the outside rear view mirrors....When backing, if you want the rear of the trailer to go left, turn the steering wheel by moving your hands in that direction. Make large turns right at first, but quickly straighten up a little. Go slow. If the back of the TM seems to get the best of you, stop and pull forward a little, then resume backing. Your spotters shouldn't be trying to tell you which way to turn the wheel, nor should they be giving instructions. Their only function is to tell you to "come on back,,,back,,, stop". Or to tell you the rear of the trailer needs to go more to the left, or righ
Dee -

In my opinion and experience, Leon has it exactly right. The "hands on the bottom of the wheel" approach is the only approach that has ever worked for me. And it works with or without a spotter.

Leon's description of the function of the spotter is also exactly right. By the way, a spotter should never say a word - his only function is to tell you which direction the rear of the trailer should go, and then tell you when to stop. Pointing his hand is perfectly adequate for this. Yelling / verbal directions never help. It takes a while to break in a good spotter, as you can imagine.

The spotter has one other responsibility, and that is to make sure that he can always see the driver's face in one or the other of the rear view mirrors. He can do this from either the left side or the right side, but he MUST be able to see your face. If he wants to switch sides, that's fine - he tells you to stop as he crosses over. There is nothing more useless than a spotter who just stands there as you maneuver, and disappears from your line of sight. When that happens, I simply put the car in PARK, get out and survey the situation for myself, get back in, back up a little more - and repeat if needed. As you walk around, you may say to the spotter "Sorry, couldn't see you." He will get the idea quite quickly.

If you don't have a skilled spotter, there is nothing wrong with using this "back a little, stop and get out, check, and back a little more" approach all by yourself. There is no rule that says you gotta make the entire maneuver without stopping. Take your time, stop and check often - you'll be glad you did when you find yourself dangerously close to a tree or a post. Been there, done that, many times.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Leon's stories remind me of our first camping trip to Columbia, CA. We had never stayed in an RV park with sites this close before. The manager walked with this guy who had a motorhome to his intended site, and proceeded to "guide" him in. I watched in horror as he came closer and closer to a big tree that was on the other side from the guide (I guess neither one of them saw it). I was afraid to say anything, but would have, had he gotten much closer. He finally got parked, looked to his left, and saw the tree no more than 6" away from the his driver's door (no way to get out on that side). Once they figured out that they needed some more room away from that tree, they were able to park it better.

I've done the stop, get out and look thing once; it worked, but it took a long time and I didn't get the TM where I wanted it (plus I had a lot of room to maneuver). I have to do that when I hitch up, too.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Magdefrau

My wife can....she gets out every few seconds and looks so that it's safe.
Most private parks will spot you to the site. The first time we went RVing, my wife told the fellow I was new and had never backed into a site before.
I was ......well he was understanding and gave a good lesson to me. I will go back to the Jellystone RV Park in the Smoky's because of his positive help.

I know about work and not getting time off. I quess thats life. Maybe a weekend this fall all of yall can go. Heros are all around.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Doug W.

My dad thought me when I was young by going to an empty parking lot. Just try to back it into one of the parking spaces starting at a 90 degree angle to where you want to park. It helps if you have orange cones or dad used a couple lawn chairs. They are easier to see in the mirrow than the lines. An hour or so of practice and you will be able to back with the best of them. If you make a mistake, there is nothing big to hit. If it is not working, you can just circle around and try it again without needing to back up.