TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
rwussise

Default leaking windows

2011 TM 3124 KB - during a recent outing and following a 8 to 10 hour rain, the windows leaked. I don't know if the leaking occurred between the glass or around the window frame. If the frame leaked, how do you reseal? open the frame and reseal or caulk around the frame? Which is best? Thanks
rwussise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwussise View Post
2011 TM 3124 KB - during a recent outing and following a 8 to 10 hour rain, the windows leaked. I don't know if the leaking occurred between the glass or around the window frame. If the frame leaked, how do you reseal? open the frame and reseal or caulk around the frame? Which is best? Thanks
It probably did not leak between the glass. The TM window opening is sealed with a caulk. I have one of the larger side windows over the sofa that leaks during heavy rain only. I realized that when pressure washing the TM before storing it, the pressure would release the edge of the caulk and allow water to penetrate. You can always add more caulk or a better solution would be to remove the old caulk and apply again.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
MisterP

RV windows are notoriously under-caulked. Remove the old before re-caulking, it's a bandaid if you add new caulk over old. You should be able to seal the windows without pulling the frames.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwussise View Post
Do your windows have drain slots at the top and the bottom? That is there so the OEM can put the windows in to open in a preferred direction (just turn them over). Mine do, and that is where I find they are still leaking. I am simply going to seal them. The rubber inserts I have do not always work.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Michoshisho

I had a similar problem with mine. Upon further inspection, I discovered that there was no caulk on my windows. Just the caulk-like material they use to install them. A quick bead of caulk across the top of each window resolved the problem. I was able to confirm that there were no more leaks in a subsequent rain storm. Happy Day! Now I just need to find the source of the leak that is allowing water to flow down from between the awning and the shell.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michoshisho View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. Upon further inspection, I discovered that there was no caulk on my windows. Just the caulk-like material they use to install them. A quick bead of caulk across the top of each window resolved the problem. I was able to confirm that there were no more leaks in a subsequent rain storm. Happy Day! Now I just need to find the source of the leak that is allowing water to flow down from between the awning and the shell.
Look at the bolts on top of the roof that are used to mount the awning. I had them re-caulk them at TM and by the time I got home they had blown off.
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

First try to figure out where it's leaking from. Check to make sure the little drain slots at the bottom are free so the water can drain out of the tracks. If you can not find where it's leaking from I would re-caulk around the top and sides. If you pull the window to back caulk? I would use Butyl sealant, if not I would use silicone caulk.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Default My window leaks

Almost all of my windows were replaced at TM and we hosed them down and they did not leak. When I got home and experienced a long steady, but light rain fall, the windows were leaking again. I played with the one that leaked the most and am pretty sure the water is coming in from the drains at the top of my window, even though they are filled with a rubber rectangular plug. I called 3M and they recommended that I use their 4000 RV caulk with RV protection. In reading it, it says it cures best at 70 degrees and that it should not be stored at less than 40 degrees. There is no information on how cold/warm it can be if I want to use it. If it is in the high 40's, do you think I can use it to try and stop the leaks?
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Have you tried sealing between the outside wall and the top trim? Not on the roof but the side wall. My 3023 leaked similar to what you describe. I called Jimmy (lately departed) at TM. He told me to do this and it fixed the leak. Seems the water wicks up between the wall and the top trim then runs down the inside wall. Lots of water was coming in. Fixed mine about many years ago and have not had a problem since.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Have you tried sealing between the outside wall and the top trim? Not on the roof but the side wall. My 3023 leaked similar to what you describe. I called Jimmy (lately departed) at TM. He told me to do this and it fixed the leak. Seems the water wicks up between the wall and the top trim then runs down the inside wall. Lots of water was coming in. Fixed mine about many years ago and have not had a problem since.