TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Ranman68

Default Black water tank

We just returned from a camping trip and had a question. Just out of curiosity, how big is the black water tank? We've got an '03 3023. We haven't been camping for more than a few days yet, but according to the gauge, the tank gets about half way full or a little fuller. Is the black water tank big enough to be able to open the lever on the toilet into the black water tank and then recharge the toilet, or is it a 1 time only deal?
I'm thinking when we go for a week, this may be an issue?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Is the black water tank big enough to be able to open the lever on the toilet into the black water tank and then recharge the toilet, or is it a 1 time only deal?
I'm thinking when we go for a week, this may be an issue?
Try this link - Bill's explanation of how the Thetford works should answer your question.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Ranman68

Excellent! That answered all my questions
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
vaznar

Thanks for the detailed explanation - very helpful and informative. My husband and I have been trying to figure out how the entire toilet system works. I would appreciate if you could clarify a minor issue - while we used ours for urinal pupose only- how does the holding tank which you said is part of the toilet itself work? I assume that in the holding tank, the area for the urine and solid waste are separate from the recirculating liquid that is used for flushing. When you say that the toiled recyles the liquid in the tank - which liquid is that? - is that the initial charge of fresh water? So everytime it is used to flush it goes back to the area where the original fres water ( which has been deodorized) is sitting? Unless I miss it in the explanation, I can not follow where the urine and solid waste stays. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
hhoenig

you really don't want to know that., but 4 of us use the Thetford for everything, when we camp 10 days at a time, and never had an odor problem. I think the Thetford is one of the better features of the TM.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
camp2canoe

If you search the archive, you'll find some photos of a dissasembled Thetford that may be helpful in understanding how the unit works. I'll share my understanding and someone who has actually taken one apart can disagree. There is a circular fence where all waste goes upon flushing. Solids are held within that while liquids pass through the fence and are available for flushing. That is one reason, I suspect, why the interior of the bowl is black plastic. When you pull the handle at the dump station the solids drop through and are flushed away by the liquid contents.

I'd share a couple of thoughts based on innumerable posts and five years of use. Flush with abandon - I've never been able to convince DW that long flushing can't use up capacity. It does seem to break down the solids quicker. If you're in a site with full hookup, never leave the bottom dump handle pulled out - you need the "whoosh" of liquid to efficiently evacuate the contents. Similarly, if you're dumping the Thetford after light use, fill it with fresh water until it reads "full" to get a better emptying. We try to always set up the TM when dumping so we can flush it out with water for a better rinse. We have followed the "one Potty Toddy tablet and a small bottle of Campa Chem" for recharge and have had no problems with excessive odor no matter what the temperature. Use nothing but RV tissue which is made to break down faster. Lastly, we get about 9 user days out of the Thetford - or 4 1/2 days for the two of us. If we're only out for a three day weekend, we use the TM Thetford exclusively. If we were spending a week without full hookup, we might try to use the campground facilities more often. Remember that by allowing waste to fill the pipe below the Thetford you can stretch the capacity a bit. Ditto for not quite filling it up to the charge line when charging the system with fresh water. - camp2canoe
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Also remember that the lid is more than just decorative it actually seals in odors when not in use. When closing it, press to get a good seal.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Also remember that the lid is more than just decorative it actually seals in odors when not in use. When closing it, press to get a good seal.
And be careful if you sit on the lid to shave or brush your teeth. I am pretty sure that is how we cracked our lid.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Scott O

I agree with Wayne...ours has a small crack and wife denies ever having sat on it. Hummm...that leaves only one person! I hate it when that happens!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
4Kids2Dogs

Quote:
My husband and I have been trying to figure out how the entire toilet system works.
To give a brief answer to question posted by Vaznar, basically the Thetford is like a big bucket underneath the seat/bowl. In this bucket there is a metal basket made of mesh that sits inside the commode. Waste is flushed into the middle of the basket, and the mesh is supposed to hold in the solids and let the liquid circulate. The initial charge of fresh water and your chemical treatment is part of that liquid. Then it consists of whatever you add when you use it The pump takes in this liquid from outside of the mesh and uses it to flush.
There is a vinyl skirt which is an attachment right inside the opening of the hole where the waste is flushed down. It is a soft plastic conduit that is supposed to make sure each flush is routed to the center of the basket so that solids will be contained.
If you want to see the Thetford parts, see this post from Dave aka "ShrimpBurrito": http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8112
Yes, it sounds incredibly yucky, but we have actually had really good success using it. We have had minimal odor (none when the seat is closed) and use Thetford Supreme Green chemical with Potty Toddy tabs as needed. AND we keep the kids off the seat. No cracks yet!!
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote