TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Quick question - what is this for?

This is attached to the forward wall at the fridge, just under the “magazine rack”?
A short velcro tab. Seems to be original. Top screw looks like it may have been an allen screw or some type of security screw. Can’t get it out. I’ve got a 2720SL and the recliner is no longer here.
Could this have something to do with keeping the recliner in place? Love to remove it but can’t get that top screw out. It sits right in the middle of a very useable piece of wall space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F3B82BE-0474-4B5B-9C38-5B5630D9BDC1.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	22550   Click image for larger version

Name:	829CB171-45B6-4FA8-B2DE-19E1135788D1.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	898.8 KB
ID:	22551  
Old 09-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No idea what that is, but it is not original. The magazine rack is not factory original, either, so I suspect a previous owner was doing something. Who knows what?

We have had three 2720SLs. The first two each had a comfy chair. I don't think the South Dakota factory is including them any more. Those chairs were not recliners, and they were not restrained in any way.

I can't quite tell what the screw head looks like. As you say, it may be a security screw. You can buy a set of security screwdrivers from Harbor Freight for not much. One of them ought to match what you have.

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Interesting. It’s a nice little rack too. I know there used to be a chair with the SL, but there wasn’t one when I picked it up last year.
I’ve got a few different screwdriver tips here at home. I’ll see if something fits. It’s also glued on so might be a bit difficult to remove anyway. I do know that I have nothing to use it for. Can’t for the life of me guess what it’s function could have been…
Old 09-06-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Glued AND safety-screwed? Wow!

Again, the OEM chairs were not recliners, and they weren't fastened to anything in any way.

If you would like to post a close-up pic (good focus) of the screw head, I'll see if I can identify it.

Finally, if you go outside and remove the panels behind the refrigerator, you may be able to see how the screw is fastened on the back of the wood panel.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

I suspect it was once an allen screw. Maybe a torx (I have lots of those in multiple sizes). I could fit one of my small allen keys in there but it wouldn't budge. Then it slipped in the head a wee bit - I think that glue is also on the threads of the screw. I don't have high hopes of getting that little goodie off.

I have actually been behind the fridge - thinking to tap into the purple 12V line (water pump, toilet, furnace - since the toilet is no longer there, and the furnace runs almost never and the pump intermittently - best line to use I thought) for my power to the cell booster (decided to mount the booster on that fridge wall and either run the power back from one of the reading lights on the front cabinet, or from behind the fridge - a different story )

Was looking for where that hole next to this thing came out back there. Found the hole, but haven't explored farther into the space to check for the back of the screws. Going back today and I'll do a check. However I did find a cut-off toggle screw back there. I suspect there was some attempt at mounting that little hunk of hardware just using a screw through the wall and it pulled out. Hence that remnant hole. We know there isn't much "wall" there. I'll bet when I manage to get my hand far enough back, I won't find much. My guess is that they cut the screws off (also found some pieces of screw thread that had been cut off with a side-cutter). And therefore that little piece of "whatever" is glued on.

My plan for the booster amplifier is to use the velcro that is on the back of the snap on base, and pop it off the base when I'm traveling or not using it (which will be most of the time). Don't need to have it bouncing along while on the road and putting stress on the wall.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Just took another look at the picture... I think that bit was originally mounted horizontally. One screw pulled through and so they just swung the thing vertically and then glued it in place - looks like a nice solid epoxy! Seriously doubt I could get it off without demolishing huge chunks of the wall. I can work around it... Use the existing hole to feed the antenna &/or power wire through. I've got some rubber grommets that should work with that hole nicely.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Got my see snake behind that wall (not enough room to reach in and feel). The bottom screw is another toggle bolt, the top has nothing…
Back inside and though I can get that top screw to turn - it is an Allan screw and I managed to force a key into it and get it to turn. However, since it isn’t holding anything in place it’s academic. It’s the epoxy holding that little goodie to the wall. And that isn’t coming off without doing a number on the wall. So it stays where it is. Maybe I’ll find a use for it some day!