TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
arknoah

Default Wires on street side of unit

As I closed our trailer yesterday after a fine weekend of camping, I noticed that the last clip closed -- street side/ front half seemed a lot harder to do than the others.  Also, I noticed that some of the wires for the trailer are practicalyy pinched by the bars supporting the street side/ front half.

When we arrived home, I saw that the wires are actually attached there by those plastic gripper clips like they use to tie up cords, but also that some of the electrical tape on the wires had been rubbed off.  While I can certainly replace the electrical tape, I wonder if the location of this wire bundle so close to the torsion bars makes any sense.

Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2002, 11:31 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Wires on street side of unit

F.J.......Interesting. When I first got mine, all those wires were completely out of the wall and just hanging down. The RV shop did "plastic tie" them to the travel arms, but again, I have the same thing going on that you do. Which means I'm completely on my own as to where to route them. I think once I get the part up in where it needs to go in the wall, I'm gonna redo the wires on the backside....aka....thin side of the travel arm so that they don't bump the other travel arm, or the wall. (I'm only guessing that's where yours are rubbing as I have no clue where they're supposed to be). At any rate, I'll figure it out. But does this sound familiar? Or are they rubbing on something else? BTW, the "torsion bars/springs" are the round part at the bottom, and going into, the rectangle shaped "travel arms" that are "L" shaped at the top. Anyway, what's your thoughts F.J.?

Happytrails.......
Old 06-19-2002, 02:48 PM   #3

What does BTW stand for  ??? . ...sorry, I am not computer savvy...
Red
Old 06-20-2002, 02:47 AM   #4
arknoah

BTW usually stands for "by the way."

Regarding the wires, this weekend when we go camping, I'm going to see how the wires end up, and try to figure out if there is a better way to attach the wires to the unit so they don't get cut our fouled up in any way.   It's just hard to visualize when the unit is closed and you can't see anything.

I'll let you know....
Old 06-20-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Happytrails

Red, yes, BTW means "By the way"...... :P

Thanks F.J. that sounds good. You really have to watch out for this as if something gets grounded, and a fuse doesn't do it's job, you'll blow up the battery, burn the wires up, or cause a fire.....if the fuse does do it's job, you'll be constantly perplexed as to why it blows all the time, wondering where the "short" is.......(I'm going through this right now in fact with my boat trailer....gonna have to go all the way through the system with it.) The boat doesn't have brakes, so it's just the 4 prong connection, but every time I plug it up and drive a while, it burns out my car stereo/cig light/back lift glass fuse.........frustrating to say the least.  :-/

Happytrails........
Old 07-02-2002, 01:54 PM   #6
oilspot

When I picked up my unit the clips were just on the verge of being lost.  I quickly tried to memorize and understand the routing so I could fix it and then explain it to the board.

As best I can tell, the wires have slack in them so they can move with the torsion arms.  The wires actually make a loop (using a wire tie) and then the loop is fastened to the top using a srewdown wire clip.

The wire tie is important because it keeps the loop in shape and the wires out of the torsion arm.

If I can ever figure out how to post a picture I snap one with my new digital camera.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:43 AM   #7
arknoah

Oilspot,

That's what I think, too.  I just hope there isn't any extra pressure on the wires when its closed!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
Happytrails

Oilspot, if you could get a picture to me anyway if not the board, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

[email protected]
Old 07-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #9
oilspot

I'll see if I can snap a few this week when we show off the camper to my in-laws.

I'll get them to you one way or another.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:57 AM   #10
Happytrails

Thanks Oilspot, that would help me a lot!