TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Reefer Fuse Melt-Dowm - REPAIRED

The "reefer" fuse on my DC fuse board melted down (see thread on maint. board), and the fuse board exhibited clear signs of burning. Per helpful suggestions from denizens of this stellar forum, plus a URL, I ordered a replacement fuse board.

Replacing the board turned out to be fairly simple and traight forward. In the iterest of avoiding tedious description, look at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/84001119ItOywY

Inspection of the board revealed a) obvious burn marks on the fuse connector of the fuse board, and b) the reverse side of the board is burned around the solder point connecting the post to the converter / batt power source.

After finishing the replacement, I checked out the reefer and reefer fan. The reefer works fine on battery power. I still need to test it on converter power - but, can't imagine why there should be a difference. Being electrically challenged, it is not a given that my imagination and reality are on the same path.

After running the reefer for about an hour, the fuse was cool to the touch and is normal. Also, the Ammeter was showing about 10 amps draw on the battery (fan off). So far, so good.

Thanks to all who offered advice. Special thanks to Bill J. for sending me text from the Magnatek manual. That was the nudge needed to start out correctly.

Denny_A 8)
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Reefer Fuse Melt-Dowm - REPAIRED

Wow, nice job there Denny! Your job documentation pics are just plain excellent!

Very impressed also with your creative use of different fingernail polish colors!

And for those of us who don't have access to a wide variety of fingernail polish colors to keep our wires matched up, may I suggest a Brother P-Touch labeler. . About $30 at most office supply stores...much cheaper than true "cable label" makers.

I have a bank of 6 computers on a server rack in my office and without the ability to label all the various mouse, keyboard, video, and ethernet cables I would have a real mess on my hands everytime I take two or more of those machines off the rack for preventitive maintenance and upgrades.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nice work, Denny. There was no doubt in my mind that you could pull this off. Your photo-sequence is great!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
Happytrails

Interesting, my whole fuse panel is all Buss fuses, wonder how hard it would be to switch it over to the bladed type?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]