TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
2manypets
Site Sponsor

Default Front Mounted Hitch

We’ve been thinking about getting a couple of bicycles to take camping with us. So that means we will need a bike rack. This brings up the question of where to mount it. My weight distributing hitch doesn’t have enough room to allow the use of a towing type bike rack. And there seems to be a pretty fair consensus that mounting a bike rack on the back of the TM can induce sway. The other possibility is to get a receiver mounted on the front of my truck and carry the bikes in front of the grill. Has anybody tried this? Any comments on this plan?
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Default Rear Mounted Hitch on TM Presents No Problem

Hi, I have a 2004 TM2720SL with a factory rear hitch mount (rated according to attached label at 100 lbs maximum with note "Do not use to tow Trailer" but good for up to 800 lbs physically according to factory source). This hitch can be ordered from the factory as a welded in option when new or they will provide a bolt in version for those who already own a TM. My TV is a Ford F-150 Lightning pickup and I have added (in addition to the hitch) the following extra weight items to the rear of the TM: 4 solar panels (100 lbs) and two very large 6-volt golf cart batteries with inverter (estimate 45 lbs extra from original one 12 volt battery). This extra 200 or so pounds (including hitch weight) has not had any adverse effect on the TM's handling that I am aware of. The factory installation (special order) of a "DirecTv Satellite dish" in place of the standard "Batwing antenna" probable offset 10 lbs toward the front but that's it. Cheers, Dick Coombs
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #3
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Didn't know dish antenna was an option. You happy with it?

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

The satellite antenna I have was installed by the factory in cooperation with my dealer. I believe the dealer bought the antenna kit from Winegard and had it shipped to the factory to be installed instead of the standard optional antenna. They only made a few mistakes installing it but both were easily corrected. The antenna horizontal direction was 180 degrees out from dial indication inside and would only rotate 180 degrees and shaft which turns the antenna was cut too short (it was cut to same lenght as used by the standard antenna installation - satellite installation requires slightly longer shaft be cut) . There was also a slight problem with a bad splitter but nothing a local TV shop couldn't sort out. TM folks should be wiser now. I
am totally satisfied with it now.
The Winegard Combination Satellite & VHF/UHF Antenna "kit" I used was their model RM-DM61 Eighteen inch digital satellite dish and off-air omnidirectional RoadStarTM antenna together — one mount and one install for satellite or local broadcasts. Includes Digital Magic elevation sensor that gives the elevation of the satellite antenna on an LCD readout inside the vehicle, accurate to within 1°. The antenna comes with RV-7042 white on/off power supply switch with +12 VDC receptacle, built-in two-way splitter for second TV set, power indicator light, cable/satellite input . The combination mount is available without the elevation sensor, Model RM-4610. The installtion must be done as TM is built. Retrofit is not a viable option. Cheers, Dick Coombs
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Dang.

Thought I might have a window of opportunity to get a dish without carrying one around in the trailer. Mmmmm. You'd think somebody on this board who is electrically clever would be able to solve that puzzle . . . maybe if we had an X prize, like the space travel prize . . . only it would have to be $10 rather than $10 million

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
live2shopnc

I have found that a portable dish works best for me. I usually have trees that block the dish if mounted to the TM.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets
The other possibility is to get a receiver mounted on the front of my truck and carry the bikes in front of the grill. Has anybody tried this?
I have not tried it, but there is a person/neighbor around and up the block who owns a TM (2720), and I noticed sometime this summer some bikes on the front of his Yukon. The Yukon was backed in the driveway on my way into work this morning and I noticed the receiver hitch in front. Have not talked to him, so I don't know much more that what I saw.

Kevin R.