TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
bfezel

I have made a long list of "fixes" and "improvements" to my 2004 3124KS in the almost two years that I have owned it. I love tinkering and one of the items on my to-do list was a modification to the spare carrier based on some excellent ideas on this forum.

However, a few months ago I decided on a better course of action (better for me). I purchased a locking, vinyl coated, heavy braided steel cable and use this to lock my TM spare in the bed of my Tundra. It is more convenient should I need it and I store it in my out building when not traveling.

No more wrestling it out from under the trailer in the case of a blowout (which happened to me last year on an interstate in South Dakota).

Just another idea.

Bill
Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill, I'm so jealous! For over two years, I was intending to trade in my old tow vehicle (2002 Explorer) on a Tundra, largely to get the pickup truck bed to carry things in. I've got a buddy in Surprise, Arizona, who has a wonderful Tundra rig, with a locking hard tonneau cover. Ever since he bought his TM and went camping with us, I've coveted his rig.

Life is strange, and the best laid plans sometimes go astray. Now I have another Explorer - which I really like! - but it isn't what I planned. It's a long sad story, involving a Dastardly Dealer with a Snidely Whiplash mustache, but it is what it is. And as a result, no TM spare tire in the wayback of the Explorer, no gas can in the wayback, and probably no generator in the wayback.

And the worst part is that by the time I am ready to trade in today's Explorer on tomorrow's Tundra, either there will be no Tundra, or Toyota will have downsized it to a rollerskate. So I'll enjoy the thought, but for us without pickups - well, it's a great idea ...

Bill (another one)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I like the rear bumper spare tire carrier on my TM. It looks fine, is easily accessible, doesn't get squished, and doesn't get in the way. Presumably, it can't be mounted on the newer TM's because of the new style bumper.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We took all of the tires in for new valves and balancing a few days ago. That was our first experience with the spare tire. You can see where I ran after that! Anyway, we made the modification today and when we put the spare back in place, Gene's comment was, "Wow! That's huge!" Better for the tire. Better for us. Great, great modification guys!

Don't start teasing me. Tire rack modifications are not MY projects.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I don't know why but my 15" Maxxis spare fit on my spare tire rack without issue.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The one time I took mine out I didn't see any issues with the spare tire either It will be coming out again this week to check tire pressure before next weekend camping trip so I'll look closer.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
I didn't see any issues with the spare tire either
I think that the 2011 models came with 15" wheels, so the spare tire rack would have been appropriately sized. It is models that originally had 14" tires that needed the mod.

Bill
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Gene modified our spare tire modification today. There was NO WAY our original spare could have been inflated to anywhere near ok pressure before our first modification. Going to 15", it took both of us to rack the spare even with the modification and it would have caused the same sidewall deformity as the factory design. We hope everyone familiarizes themselves with this issue before they are facing it on the side of an interstate . . .

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Steppy

Default Spare Tire Mod Quick Fix

I've upgraded to 15" Maxxis and verified my spare tire rack is an inch shy of fitting the new tire on my TM. I think I'll use Bill's mod, but I'll need 1.5" channel iron and I don't even know if it comes in that size. In the meantime I bought 2
3/8" , 1.5" long hex bolts, 2 lock washers and 2 wingnuts for a quick fix until I can effect a more permanent solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0030.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	5752  
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

If I can suggest ...

Your mod ought to be perfectly fine, at least for normal travel. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to drill a small hole right through the bolt, just above the wing nut. Run a piece of wire ( a paper clip is a good choice) through the hole and twist it so it can't come out. This keeps the wing nut from backing off under vibration.

The military and aviation guys call this safety wire ...

Bill