TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Sherrylynnc

Default Water Leak awning side behind couch 3124KS

We just purchased a new 3124KS and have it setup in our driveway to check everything out before we go camping. It has rained almost everyday since we bought it and we've noticed a leak around the back of the couch, door side. When it was raining we noticed a steady stream of water coming off the top of the RV, door side front, hitch side. It got the couch really wet. Is this a caulk issue? The seals are in place correctly so it's not leaking from the seals being put down wrong. We did that at first, and then noticed it was still wet after it dried out.

Any suggestions or help with this issue.

Sherry Chilcote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Larry Gault

It sure sounds like a caulk problem. Try running a water hose over area's until you see water coming in. BTW the rain has been great for us in Texas so I ain't complaining after a 2 year drought. Hope you find the leak before you go camping because more rain forcasted.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Sherrylynnc

Default RV Leaking

Thank you Larry. I hope we find the leak too. I just noticed it was also leaking on the bed side as well. I put sheets on the bed just before this last rain, and they are all wet. I might need to call the dealer about this since it seems to be on both ends of the RV.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
rumbleweed

It sounds like a caulk leak. I had several on our TM when it was new. The caulk is somewhat delicate and if an inexperienced wash guy uses a pressure washer it can come loose. Be aware that where the water comes out into the TM is not always where it comes in. Check the caulk on top, sides and around outside lights. Easiest way is to take a hair dryer on cool ( air only) and direct the air flow 2-3 inches away at the seam perpendicular to the seam line and at about a 45 degree angle to the roof. Look for the caulk to flutter as the air gets under it. Once you find a loose section, you can verify it is loose by looking for dirt under the caulk. If there is dirt under it it is not sealed. Using a small knife ( hobby knife) remove the loose area and at least 1" into the good ( sealed) area. Dry and clean with alcohol then reseal. Depending on how far away your dealer is, it may be simpler to do this yourself as leaks are tricky to find and even a dealer is not guaranteed to get them all the first time. I also always carry a small tube of caulk with me as you never know when the movement and vibration caused by towing may cause a caulk separation. Once I re-caulked my TM I have had no problems. Good luck
Old 10-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Sherrylynnc

Default Thank you for the Tips

Thank you for the excellent tips. I'm going to print this out and keep it with all of our TM information. I called the dealer and he said to bring it in on Monday. He is only an hour away from us. It's a hassle, but since we just bought it new, we need to get them to fix what they can and if it still leaks, we will do as you suggested. The leak around the bed seems to be the worse. The curtains are all wet so I suspect it's the window. The leak around the couch is a little more difficult to locate. It seems to be only on one side of the couch.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Sherry Chilcote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
rumbleweed

Not sure what color curtains you have, but the tan ones in our TM suffered water stains that would not come out and needed to be replaced. While you are at the dealer, I would add this to your list. Once you get things straight, you should be very happy with your TM.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Sherrylynnc

Thank you Bob. I will have the dealer take a look at the curtains too. We also have the beige ones. We already love our TM even though we haven't taken it anywhere except our driveway. We researched for several months before choosing this brand and model. We don't know how to fire up the furnace either. They went over eveything with us, but we can't remember what they said about the furnace. I have a list of questions to ask the dealer. The instructions aren't very good for turning on the furnace. I might find something better here online. I love this site. I found it before we bought our TM.

Thank you for your help.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
P and B

Furnace- turn on gas bottles (check for leaks with soapy water). Turn up thermosat- voila! heat. If you don't hear the ignitor and fan come on, then you know you've got a problem. Basically, it works just like the furnace in your house if you have one (don't know where you hail from).

Phil
Old 10-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Sherrylynnc

Thanks Phil. We always seem to make things difficult. We live in Texas, Dallas area. We do have a furnace in the house and it works just like that. I didn't think about just turning on the gas, and the thermostate! Newbie's. I hate being a Newbie, but a year from now, hopefully we will be PROS! The old cowboys told me there are no dumb questions, if you don't know how to do something!!
Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
P and B

Very true. If the furnace kicks on, you'll be a pro. If it doesn't work, well, back to newbieland ;-)

Phil