TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default PEX tubing leaking - suggestions?

While camping this weekend, I noticed the water pump was cycling every 10 minutes or so while the water was off. I started looking for leaks, and quickly found at least 2 at PEX joints under the sink. I think I've pulled that sink out at least 4 times, so here goes a 5th. It's such a pain getting those clips on/off with the water tank under there.

Anyway, I've never worked with PEX before, so just looking for any advice.

1) First, I understand the blue rings can be challenging to remove. I'm sure I could go after them with a dremel, but it's very tight under there. Is the removal tool that much easier? (I've read here Home Depot rents the crimper, at least)

2) I assume I'll have to replace the blue bands, but should I also replace the connectors? What about the tubing? There are probably a zillion joints under there, and everything is at a specific length to fit into the tight space. I cannot believe the factory wedged a piece of tubing in between the water tank and water heather. It's compressed....

To make a new connection, you just slip the band over the tubing a connector and crimp?

I thought about replacing the whole mess with reinforced tubing, but I'm not sure if how it would freeze compared to PEX. Also, doubt it would gravity drain like the PEX supposedly does now.

Many thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Dave,

Before going to all that hassle, try twisting the tubing inside the joint.

When the trailer is not in use, the pressure is off of the lines. As the water dries in the lines mineral deposits are left. The next time you pressurize the system, the mineral deposits that are in the joint can cause a leak. Twisting the lines in the joint can sometimes displace the mineral deposit.

I get this in my planter irrigation system all the time.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I will try that. I'm guessing I did something evil when I replaced the water pump -- this was the first time we've used the new pump.

Dave
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Just called Home Depot and my trusty Ace which is the best local resource for plumbing. Neither rented PEX crimpers or knew a good place to rent them. I'm sure I could find one to rent, but I also just remembered that Sharkbite connectors are compatible with PEX. Seems like the way to go if you're just doing a few fittings, since no tools are required......any downside to doing that?

Dave
Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Just called Home Depot and my trusty Ace which is the best local resource for plumbing. Neither rented PEX crimpers or knew a good place to rent them. I'm sure I could find one to rent, but I also just remembered that Sharkbite connectors are compatible with PEX. Seems like the way to go if you're just doing a few fittings, since no tools are required......any downside to doing that?

Dave
Sharkbite connectors work well when there is constant water pressure against the seals. I use them in the apt building all the time and love them. However, each time you turn off the water pressure then turn it on again, they drip a drop or 2 of water. I'd be a lot more concerned about sediment build up with those than with the PEX connectors.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I installed a softener in ours under the sofa bed using the SharkBites & so far they have worked great no leaks or drips! I now have a few different SharkBite Connectors & some extra Pex tubing so if wile on a trip we have a problem we can fix it. I chose this type of connection also because it is quick connect & disconnect also.

I am also now using them for a copper installation just because sweating pipes was going to be a pain.

A plumber told us the SharkBites are expensive to use but just as reliable & as good as any other connections.

Oh you can buy the Pex installation ring kit at Home Depot even though they don't rent it.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
allenj

Your local dedicated rental shop should have the Pex crimpers - the kind of place that rents aerators, backhoes etc. When I did some plumbing under the house recently I purchased the ring cutter, tubing cutter, rings, and tubing from Home Depot (all relatively cheap and worth the cost), got everything cut to length and ready, then rented the crimper for half a day.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Billy - when you puled the PEX off the fitting, did you have to cut off the 1" or so of tubing that was over the fitting in order to get a good connection with the Sharkbite? Everything is so intertwined in mine that if I have to do that, Sharkbites may not work.

Dave
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Dave, I actually didn't have to cut any existing plumbing I was able to just add the additional fittings & Pex tubing. All of mine was in Great Shape & required no cutting for what I did.

One thing SharkBites take up more space than just using Ring type so you could need to actually shorten some stuff for a good fit. Again for what I was doing hooking up a softener they have worked GREAT with no drips at all over a 10 day trip. Also I have removed & reconnected the softener multiple times in testing & actual use. So far haven't even needed any new PEX cut.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Billy. I'm going to order Sharkbite connectors online.

After a few unsuccessful calls to a number of tool rental places for a PEX crimper, I went on a little excursion today to get Sharkbite connectors. What I thought was going to be a 30-min trip turned into almost a whole afternoon. I started at Home Depot, and although they had Sharkbite elbows, they had no tees. The stock guy said they are not reordering them because they are a high loss item. Furthermore, they did not rent or even sell a PEX crimper, and they had ZERO tubing. Just some fittings, and they guy said they were phasing them out as well for lack of sales.

Next stop was Ferguson -- a nationwide plumbing supplier. Again, they had Sharkbite elbows (actually by a company other than Sharkbite), but no tees. Also no PEX crimper or tubing, and the manager there said he has never even worked with PEX. At this point I started to think I was on a different planet, but he said PEX is much more popular on the east coast. Maybe that's because there is more incentive to use it, as I believe it simply swells upon freezing, and then returns to shape when it thaws.

He referred me to another place, but no luck there. I then called about half a dozen hardware & plumbing stores in the area, and only found one that carried Sharkbites -- at 2x the price that Home Depot sold them.

Anyway, very weird. I guess I'll just order them online. I live in the second largest metro area in the United States, and I ran into a brick wall.

It looks like 1/2" tubing in the TM, right?

Dave