TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
rockerga

Default Good one Ron

I have not even used my new TM yet and spent the weekend preparing for next weekends camp trip testing everything and familiarizing myself with the new toy. Then after sanitizing and rinsing the entire plumbing system I accidentally left the water heater (electric) on after draining the water and disconnecting the shore power. I thought I had turned it off.

I guess I need to run by the dealer and pick up a new electric heating element before this coming weekend or I was wondering if I could still run it on propane if I cannot get by there this week?

Could somebody with experience please tell me approximately ($$$) how much is the electric element, and the ease of installation. What an idiot I am.

Oh well, it might the first stupid thing with my new TM I have done but I am sure it is not the last...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Yes you can but make sure you turn off the electric on the water heater if you think you burn up the element ! The red on-off button you access from the outside,Then just use the propane!!!If it is a good element you can use both the propane and electric with water in it to heat water fast!!!check the link http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...ffiliateid=590
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
rockerga

Default Thanks

Thanks alot. I looked up the part on the link (THANKS) and just purchased it...maybe I should buy two!
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
BobRederick

Ron

I might add to rip1202's answer this one point: You may find the GFI will pop after the element blows due to a short forming from the element to ground in the element itself. This will power down most of the outlets inside the TM. This short should clear when you turn the heater off using the rocker switch on the back of the heater accessed from the outside of the TM. Of course, if you replace the element, you will also clear the short.

I just found the posting by Bill. Use the Advanced search, key words "rocker switch water" and "Month ago and newer". Alternatively, you can copy and paste this link into your browser:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ater#post22688

I believe Bill also posted a great photo of this switch recently.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
rockerga

Default Was it drained...

I have read the manuals received with my new 2720sl but either the document did not state how to drain or stated that I must remove the anode in order to drain. I am confused. When I said I "drained all systems after testing" I only opened all drain valves below the TM, and one did drain hot water. Did I in fact drain the water heater or not? I have ordered a replacement 1440W replacement element (No big deal) but now I am wondering if I in fact did burn it up leaving the switch on under the sink....?

I guess I also need to check the outside of the unit and see what position that switch is in. I never opened that; only flipped the switch under the sink to get hot water (Plugged into shore power)

Major learning curve going on here, using brain cells long thought dead!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Cateye
Cateye

Default drain

Yes, the valve did indeed drain the hot water tank....
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
rockerga

Default On a good note

What a way to learn how easy it is to "winterize" the TM.......
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
BobRederick

Ron

If you pressed the button below the sink, you turned on the propane part of the heater only. It has no effect on the electric heater element.

To turn on the electric you must go outside, remove the cover over the water heater, find the black rocker switch (it's hard to see it), pull the safety pin, and finally flip the switch to "on". Then, the hot water heater is automatic and comes on whenever the water temp is low. That includes if the tank is empty or the next trip out. This switch must be carefully turned off before draining the water tank.

So in conclusion, no, I don't think you burned out the electric element. False alarm!

BTW, you can have both gas and electric turned on if you are in some high demand condition and your water will heat up faster.

To drain the hot water tank, one of the valves below the TM goes to the hot tank. (I believe it is plumbed to the center of the drain plug, but I might be wrong about that. There is also an anode in the TM and often that is in the drain plug. The anode BTW, needs to be changed about yearly and definitely should be inspected yearly to prevent tank corrosion and eventual failure. The anode is about $10 or less.) The tank won't drain unless you open a hot tap inside the TM so air can get into the hot tank, letting the water out the drain. So if you felt hot water coming out, you no doubt did drain the hot tank.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
rockerga

Thanks Bob. Then what, if any damage did I do to my water heater by leaving that switch on? (With water drained and propane tanks still on)

I almost cried when I walked into the unit the next morning and saw that water heater switch on. In addition....I did not push the thermostat past the "click" to the left and it had come on during the night as well. Just learned a minor lesson on that one. (Just a little propane lost on that lesson) I'll know next time to push it past the click all the way to the left.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
BobRederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerga
Thanks Bob. Then what, if any damage did I do to my water heater by leaving that switch on? (With water drained and propane tanks still on)

In addition....I did not push the thermostat past the "click" to the left and it had come on during the night as well. Just learned a minor lesson on that one. ...[/B]
Ron

Two very good questions indeed. The owners manual tells a little about this, so you can check that first. Bill or ??, please step in and give us a knowledgable answer as the manual probably says to turn both off but not what happens if you don't do that.