TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
mbd4kids

Default FRONY BIKE RACK vs TRUNK MOUNT

I would like to bring our bikes on vacation, but am hesitant on putting a hitch receiver on the trailer bumper because our rack failed on our last trailer when in the back. Can I use a window mount (attaches to car with straps)and still get turning clearance without having bikes hit the trailer or is a front mount receiver on the Suburban better? I would need to have the receiver installed, which is pricier, but if better?.... I tow a 3023 with a Suburban. I've searche old posts and can't find front hitch ideas.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbd4kids View Post
. . . I would need to have the receiver installed, which is pricier, but if better?.... I tow a 3023 with a Suburban. I've searche old posts and can't find front hitch ideas.
This thread may be helpful:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=bike+rack

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We have used an Allen strap rack to carry two bikes on the back of our Explorer without turning issues. Whether you can do it on your vehicle depends largely on the length of the shank on your hitch - our hitch has a long shank, for whatever reason, and this puts the body of the TM quite a ways behind the the tailgate of the vehicle. Clearance also depends on the shape of the vehicle's body in the tailgate area.

Since these vary among vehicles and among hitches, your best bet is try it out on your particular vehicle. Hook up your TM, and take yourself to an empty parking lot. Pull forward and drive in as tight a circle as you can. Now stop, and try to lift a bike into the space between the TM and the vehicle. Will the bike fit? Be sure to put the bike at the appropriate height (probably pretty high off the ground), and space the bike a couple inches away from the tailgate, since that it where it will ride on the rack. And if you are going to carry two bikes, be sure you are thinking about the rearmost bike when you make this check.

This will tell you whether there will be enough clearance for sharp forward turns. If you make a turn going backward (as when backing into a campsite, for example), the angle between the vehicle and the trailer can get very steep as the trailer approaches a jack-knifed condition. If this is the case, you will probably want to make a habit of removing the bikes before backing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
AstroBruce

I ordered my TM with the rear hitch receiver, but only used it once. Installed a front receiver on my Dodge Ram to carry the bikes. It is just so much easier. No need to remove the bikes and carrier to open the TM. And you can take the bikes with you without the TM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
PopBeavers

fwiw, I have a friend that carries 5 mountain bikes to various mountain bike races. 2 inside the Suburban with the wheels removed and three on the roof.

I would recommend a roof rack for you, as long as you only have not more than 3 bikes.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
camp2canoe

I agree with Astro Bruce - it is also helpful to have the bikes in view. You can really pivot the TM in tight quarters using the front receiver! - camp2canoe
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
mbd4kids

Thanks for the advice!!
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote