TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Default New Flooring Options

Hello all, This past weekend while the cold weather here in Houston has settled in for Feb, I have decided to change the flooring. I have a 2003- 3124KB and I removed the carpet between the sofas and the carpet in the hallway in front of the rear bed and bathroom. I also removed the sheet vinyl from the entrance and kitchen area. Spent a good part of the day removing the old adhesive residue and all the staples. Clean and used mineral spirits on the aluminum subfloor and I am ready to tackle the next step to install a new floor. I want to use a simulated wood grain vinyl product. I have recently used a Pergo (click and lock) floating style system in my home and wondered if that can be used in the TM? Or I can use a peel and stick product that resembles a wood grain effect. For those of you that have upgraded and or changed the flooring, what have you used effectively? Any do's and dont's you can offer will be appreciated.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
REBCAT

We used a peel and stick woodgrain tile when we sold our old TM. The first attempt did not work because we installed it when it was cold and the glue on the back of the tiles did not stick. We waited for the weather to warm up and tried again. It turned out beautiful.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It is a great project, and has been done by a number of owners. The discussions have contained a lot of helpful information and hints. Start here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10931

and then use the search tool on the Interior forum, to work backward from there. There should be several older threads on the topic.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thanks REBCAT. I had not considered the issue of temperture for the peel and stick. The project will need to be accomplished during my downtime before spring, so I may have to plug in the TM and run the furnace or electric space heater for the best results. I was thinking that the click and lock systems are not best suited for a pop-up. And in the older models like my 2003, there are too many angles and cuts to make with the chop saw. The entrance wall is angled on the left for the stove counter and the right side edge is the sofa edge. The peel and stick method can at least be cut with a utility knife for some tight areas around the bottom of the refrigerator door, furnace cover, etc. I found a product at one of the Home Improvement stores and its self adhesive planks. It does not adhere to the floor, they adhere to each other side to side and end to end. They are 6" x 36" dimensions. I figured I could staple the edges at the baseboard and trim it out with corner moulding?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Just a thought:

You might consider expansion and contraction before you staple the edges. Those type of floors are usually left free floating with a gap at the edges (covered by quarter round or equivalent). This allows expansion and contraction without buckling or pulling apart at the joints.

Tim
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
kokilo

The vinyl planks that have the glue strip on the edge have a restriction in the temperature guaranteed by the manufacturer. I believe the product is called Allure and the glue can become unglued at high temps.
Some people on the forum have successfully used this product... anybody out there with a few years of use in hot areas?

Peter
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I'm getting ready to do the same thing and just went and looked at peel and stick vinyl at Lowe's. I was looking for a ceramic tile effect but I am 90% sure they had wood-look.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
kokilo

We did our floor last summer using Trafficmaster solid vinyl peel and stick tile. The pattern was beige slate and looks great.

The floor was primed with 123 after being stripped and sanded lightly where needed. There was no need to modify the clearances for the rollers in the slide. The aluminum guides were placed right over the tile as were the slide locks. The slide sweeps/weatherstripping worked better with the tile than the original carpet.

The floor perimeter was finished with 1/4 round with a minwax stain/varnish to match the cupboards.

After living in the Trailer for 3 months in the Southern California desert it still looks like new. No lifting, no stains and the glue is solid.

Peter
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We also used the stick-on tiles, they were cheapies from Big Lots (I have lots of extras in case they need to be replaced). We also primed with 123 primer, they've stuck on just fine for 2 years. We have one tiny nick in the floor where we must have dropped something on it by the cabinet under the rear bed, other than that, it looks great.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

So how did you like removing all those staples?

I replaced the carpeting with a 'floating' laminate floor several years ago in our 2619. The floor still looks good after 6 years. I found my original post which had a few pictures attached, that you should be able to view.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3434

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote