TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Idea for WDH Adjustment Guide

I am still a newbie, so someone should chime in if I am off track.

Before my initial trip with my TM last year, as I had learned to do on this forum, I very carefully measured and recorded the before and after heights at all 4 wheel wheels of the TV and adjusted the WDH to get the truck with the trailer back very close to it’s original attitude without the trailer. I then knew I needed to leave two links of adjustment chain hanging on my WDH, or so I thought.

On my last trip this winter, I realized I needed to adjust my WDH differently when the headlights on the TV were shining too high. I don’t think I had that much more stuff on this trip than before, but I do think I may have had the weight more forward in the TM (another tip I picked on this forum).

What I learned from this was that it would be a good idea to do a check, and readjust the WDH if needed, whenever I pack a different weight in the TM, or even pack the same stuff differently. For me, that could be on every trip.

To make this task easier I was thinking I could attach height-adjusting bolts to one end of a carpenters level. Set the level aligned front to back in the bed of my empty truck where it won't be in the way of loading the truck, adjust the bolts until it reads level, then leave level put. Load both my TV and TM for the trip and hook up the trailer. I will then adjust the WDH until the level's bubble is close to showing level again.

Besides not having to run around and record the heights at the wheel wells, it seems this method will allow adjustment of the WDH even when the TV is not parked in a level spot, like my driveway that slopes.

I plan on adjusting the level with something like newspapers instead of the bolts just to try it for my next trip. If it works, there are several ways to attach a better height adjuster to the level.

It will be easy to set a level in a pick-up bed. People with other style TV’s would need to find a place to put it on their vehicle. I think that might be fairly easy to do with a custom-made height adjustment attachment. Another option is a level mounted on a tripod.

Does anyone see any reason this won’t work well? Or have improvement ideas?

Jim