TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
deucebigs

Default Interior lights don't work, but AC does

hey all just wondering if anyone can point me in a direction of what to look for. I have a 2005 2720 and only partial power works. AC and refrigerator both work, but it doesn't seem like anything else does. I checked the breakers and fuses, and that all seems good, but still none of the lights work. Thanks to anyone for help.
deucebigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Jampcourt

Default Interior lights

Not sure how new you are to TMs, but there is a switch (on the back wall of the bathroom on mine) that shuts off power to the shells (12 volt) so that if the lights are accidentally left on, they won't stay on. Try opening the bathroom walls and see if the lights work then. If that isn't it, I'm sure members with much more knowledge on these matters will help you.

Jampcourt
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The switch that Jampcourt refers to - under the edge of the rear panel of the bathroom wall - controls the lights in the rear shell only. You said "none of the lights work", and assuming you really meant "none" (including front shell lights), I don't think that is it.

The interior lights all operate from 12 Volts DC, and their power passes through a fuse (not a breaker). So if all the fuses are good, a blown fuse is not the problem.

The air conditioner and refrig both operate on AC power, so the fact that they work confirms that you have AC power coming in through the big black cord. The converter operates on AC power, and should provide 12 VDC to the TM battery and all the 12VDC circuits.

Do any of the other (non-light) 12-volt circuits work? Does the water pump start if you switch it on? Does the vent fan above the entry door work? If you have a radio, does it work? If you push the TEST button on the little panel in front of the sink, do any of the little lights light up? If you advance the thermostat, does the furnace blower come on?

In other words, we need to determine if it is an overall 12-volt failure, or just the lights.

We'll go from there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Unplug the camper, see if the lights work on battery power. Does anything else work on 12VDC? Toilet, fans, radio, etc...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
deucebigs

So yes I learned what is on AC and what is on DC thanks!

Yes it's a total 12V failure. All the things on twelve volts don't work, and I don't see any broken fuses. The battery is dead according to the multimeter, but it's plugged in right now. So shouldn't it be working and charging the battery through the AC? If not charging still power the 12v stuff or no?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Sounds like your converter took a dump. 120VAC comes into the electrical center, voltage is sent to the breaker panel for AC components, and voltage is sent to the AC=>DC converter then to the fuse panel for DC components and to charge the battery. When the camper is plugged in it doesn’t draw 12VDC from the battery.

Here’s a quick test. Unplug the camper. You said the battery is dead, right? So you should now have ZERO power. Plug in the 7-pin Bargman connector to your tow vehicle with the engine running. Do you now have lights, etc inside the camper? If so you know the 12VDC circuits are good, and they should also run off the battery once you either charge the battery or get a new one. If the lights work connected to the tow vehicle, then all the magic smoke escaped the converter and it will need to be replaced (assuming all the breakers and fuses are in fact good).
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 09-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
deucebigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Sounds like your converter took a dump. 120VAC comes into the electrical center, voltage is sent to the breaker panel for AC components, and voltage is sent to the AC=>DC converter then to the fuse panel for DC components and to charge the battery. When the camper is plugged in it doesn’t draw 12VDC from the battery.

Here’s a quick test. Unplug the camper. You said the battery is dead, right? So you should now have ZERO power. Plug in the 7-pin Bargman connector to your tow vehicle with the engine running. Do you now have lights, etc inside the camper? If so you know the 12VDC circuits are good, and they should also run off the battery once you either charge the battery or get a new one. If the lights work connected to the tow vehicle, then all the magic smoke escaped the converter and it will need to be replaced (assuming all the breakers and fuses are in fact good).
Yup converter is dead and battery is dead. I guess these are the types of problems you have to expect when you buy used.

Does anyone know the model these come with? I'm trying to look up replacements that will charge LifeP04 batteries since I have to replace both anyway I may as well upgrade. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: NM there's a thread all about it near the bottom.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

My 2007 3326 has a WFCO 8955ANR converter. You don’t want to keep the same model, definitely upgrade to something with smart charging.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 09-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Your new converter ...

should possibly be this one:

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-4655...nt-_p_676.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucebigs View Post
Yup converter is dead and battery is dead. I guess these are the types of problems you have to expect when you buy used.

Does anyone know the model these come with? I'm trying to look up replacements that will charge LifeP04 batteries since I have to replace both anyway I may as well upgrade. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: NM there's a thread all about it near the bottom.