TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2003, 09:06 AM   #11
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Bike rack results ---help!!!

From a trailer stability and load point of view, I would submit that hanging 4 bikes (probably well over a hundred pounds) a foot or two behind the TM's rear bumper is not a real wise thing to do...even if the bumper is reinforced.

First, that amount of extra weight that far behind the rear wheels substantially reduces a TM's inherent resistance to sway. Secondly, any added weight behind the TM's axle(s) is being totally carried by the axles and most TMs are already being loaded close to or even above their axle capacity with the just clothes, on-board camping supplies, and water (fresh, HW tank, toilet, grey tank). To a degree, the reduction in stability could be partially compensated for by adding a roughly equal amount of weight as far forward as possible in the trailer....but that will push the axle weight even closer to or over the rated limits.

One, maybe two extremely lightweight bikes (e.g. high end models with carbon fiber frames) behind the TM's bumper shouldn't have much adverse effect on stability. 4 heavy (e.g. steel frame) bikes very well may.

I totally empathize with the desireability of bringing bicycles along on a trip...great exercise (something we all need), and a wonderful way to get around. But I carry all bikes on the roof rack of my Tow Vehicle...the weight is centered on the TV's tires which generally have much more spare carrrying capacity than the TM's axle/tires...and I'm not adversely affecting my trailer's sway resistance.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 AM   #12
kenharvey1

Boy, I learn something everytime I log on to this site. In support of Ray's comment, the last time we took the TM on a trip we had the bikes (4) on the back of the trailer. Not onlt did this result in the weld problem discussed earlier but we also noticed some swaying that we had not seen before. I now know why!

Live and learn! I just wish I knew this before I spent $300+ on this 4 bike rack!!!

I do have a question about the roof style bike rack though, how big a pain is it to get the bike on and off the roof? Seems like it could be somewhat difficult without the aid of a ladder......something else to bring along!

Ken
Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 PM   #13
efelker

Ken:

I've done the bike's on the roof, and it is a pain in the butt if you are "altitudinally challenged" like me. That meant I'm short -- 5'4". Picking up a 26" bike that's not a muti-thousand dollar carbon filament frame and lifting it over you head is not fun or easy. Two people can do it adequately.

The real problem if you are short isn't the outside two bikes -- it's the two on the inside. If you have able-bodied teenagers, there's your labor force. If it's just you & your wife, not too hard to lift them. If it's just you -- spend some time at the gym!!

Now that it's just Bev & I, I bought two folding bikes and throw them inside the 4-runner. No more lifting...\

Here's a website for the type I bought (dahon). Without all the bells & whistles, you can find them as low as $179 a piece. I bought 2 Boardwalk S1s (weight is 25.5 lbs each).
http://www.dahon.com/folding-bicycles-us-models.htm

EF
Old 08-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #14
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

There are a couple of solutions to the challenge of lifting a bike onto the roof.

One approach, if you are reasonably tall enough relative to the height of the roof rack, is to hit the gym and build up those arms. That worked for me (I'm 6'1&quot and had the side benefit of giving me enough extra musculature that I got some "oohs" and "ahhs" from female friends. ;D

Another approach is to carry a small (3 step) folding ladder...or if you have an SUV with taller tires, one of those hangs-over-the-rear-tire step jobbies
Old 08-28-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I too have the vertical challenge thing going, but I think my 2 bikes should not overload the rear bumper and therefore the axle, but I will keep an eye on the sway situation.

So Ray, how is the weather up there?

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 03:11 PM   #16
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Larry...

Yeah, 2 bikes probably won't be much of a problem but do be alert for sway. Having a scientific background, I'm very cognizant of the concepts of "moment arms" and am thus not at all enthused about any extra weight at the back of a TM...for me the issue is replacing my existing Grp 27 battery in the back battery compartment with a pair of much heavier golf cart batteries. Not only would that put extra weight at the rear of the trailer but it's extra weight on the street side...and my street side tire is already carrying 1750 lbs (half the axle's rated capacity).

Weather? Hard one to answer...somewhat like California, the weather in Colorado depends enormously on just where you are...and can vary a huge amount in just 5 miles depending on your exact elevation. Generally speaking, however, the mountain areas (the places people want to go) have been pretty soggy the past month or so with daily afternoon rainstorms, coolish (40 ish) nights, and 70ish days. Down here in Colorado Springs (where I live), which is as much a city of the plains as of the mountains, it's been in the 80s and 90s nearly all summer with only an occasional rainstorm.

All is about to change though...significant cold front is expected over the weekend with a good chance of accumulating snowfall in the state's central and northern mountains. And beginning on Tuesday, I'm going into those northern mountains for 10 days...starting with 3 days in the Never Summer Mountains. This mountain range is so named because it stays pretty cold year 'round and in many years the winter snows never fully melt. I think I'm going to be mighty glad my TM has a good furnace...and I've got solar power to keep the battery charged (will be a mostly boondocking expedition).
Old 09-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #17
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Ray,

A quick update, I had no weldment issues with my bikes on the rear of the TM, but I did notice some dancing back there. My personal mantra is "no amount of sway is OK". I also attribute this to the adjustment of my Eaz-Lift WDH hitch, as I didn't move the ball down when I went from the Blazer to the Tahoe, and where I used to have 3 links hanging free on the chain, I only had 2. and the tongue was still pointing upward so once I get the ball mounted down where is should be, the extra force on the front of the TV should help out on the sway situation.
Thanks for the heads up on the sway situation, so I was ready for it, and therefore not caught off guard.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:26 PM   #18
Russ-Bett

I mentioned on another post that I gave serious thought about attaching a bike rack on the back of my TM. Instead we bought a Swagman rack that fits on the 2 inch tow bar on the back of our Ford F150 -- it fits fine between the TV and the TM. I am very enthusiastic about how well it has work out. No sway, no breaking down of TM bumper.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:22 AM   #19
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I had been away for several weeks and I missed this thread. Thanks Larry (CWB) for sending me a message regarding it.

I have not had any problems with the weld on the bumper. I do check the welds after each trip with the bikes. When I first installed the adapter, I thought I might have to reinforce the joint. But I haven't had to.

One difference between my TM and the newer ones is that I have the spare time on the bumper. I wonder if TM changed how they welded the bumpers when they moved the spare tire underneath. Just a thought.

Also, I mostly only carry three bikes since I changed to the swagman bike rack. The spare tire interferes with me adding a fourth bike.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:40 AM   #20
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=RickNewcomb link=board=1;threadid=1235;start=msg9612#msg9612 date=1064492570]
One difference between my TM and the newer ones is that I have the spare time on the bumper. I wonder if TM changed how they welded the bumpers when they moved the spare tire underneath. Just a thought.
[/quote]
When my '02 2720SL was involved in a wreck, it was in tow behind an '03 TM ??. The first TM turned upside down and mine stayed upright. The TV and the 2 TMs ended up in a ditch and were still connected. The folding hitch on my TM was twisted. The rear bumper on the other TM was twisted but still intact. The tow truck had to rip the bumper off of the other TM to separate the trailers. If the bumper can stand up to this, I don't think there is a problem with a bike rack attached. Both of the TMs had the spare mounted under the frame and not on the bumper.
TM eliminated the bike rack problem by replacing the rear bumper with the new plastic storage compartment bumper on the '04 TMs. My dealer, who was towing the TMs when the wreck happened, was told this modification was done just for him to prevent dual towing and another wreck.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote