TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #21
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Bike rack results ---help!!!

Thanks for that Mike. I know that I looked at my bumper after I had carried my bikes, and the welds looked perfect. I wonder if those having the separation issue were made around the same time. I am thinking that maybe the welding rods that were used had too many impurities in them and didn't give a good weld, or they didn't do a good job of prep cleaning the weld areas before welding. With respect to the towing of your trailer behind the '03, the forces exerted while towing (pulling straight back basically) are totally different than the cantilever effect of 3-4 bikes hanging of the bumper, wouldn't you agree?

In any case, my bumper showed no ill-effect from the bike rack hanging off the rear bumper, and I am convinced that the bumper welds should be plenty strong enough.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:49 PM   #22
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=1;threadid=1235;start=msg9619#msg9619 date=1064507058]
With respect to the towing of your trailer behind the '03, the forces exerted while towing (pulling straight back basically) are totally different than the cantilever effect of 3-4 bikes hanging of the bumper, wouldn't you agree?[/quote]
Actually the static tongue weight of the towed TM (450#) would most likely put more torque on the bumper than the cantilever effect of the loaded bike rack. Then add the straight back towing forces and the dynamic torque of a moving TM. I don't see how a bike rack could break the bumper welds unless they were defective or damaged. The old rear mount spare probably put more torque on the bumper than the bike rack ever will. There is someone around here that regularly tows his bass boat behind the TM. I have seen him on the road a couple of times.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #23
efelker

Went back to this old string after finding an interesting bike made by Razor (same folks that make the skooters) in the AAFES catalog (military folks). Here's what the catalog said:

''Razor'' Squeeze Compact Adult Bicycle

Urbanites, college kids and all-around hipsters will get a kick out of this compact bicycle. Patented space-saving technology enables it to fold down fast, creating a useful handle that makes it easy to hoist into most car trunks and apartment closets, with plenty of room to spare.
Efficient, single gear freewheel drive
High-pressure (80 psi) street tires for better efficiency
Comfortable, upright riding position
Instant seat post adjustment to fit any rider
Soft saddle and comfort grips
Simple 1-point folding system
Size: 36''H x 17½''W x 45''D (folded: 24''H x 18''W x 44''D)
http://www.scooters-america.com/cate...ufacturer=Sque
Weight: 23 pounds"

It was $169 for military (active & retired) folks. Found it on http://www.scooters-america.com/prod...oduct=150CA-SL for $179. At 23 lbs and folded to 24" X 18" X 44" it looks ideal for camping.

Ed
Old 10-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #24
bell
Site Sponsor

Trailmanor now has a receiver for the new bumper .They were on the floor at the factorywhen I was there Monday.The will hold up to 100lb.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:55 PM   #25
arknoah

Bell,

Will these be standards on new models, or options?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #26
MMARFISI

I just saw an article in RV Journal, summer 2003 edition (available at Camping World). There is a review on a "V Rack Bike Rack" manufactured by Advantage Sport Rack of Bellingham Wa. It mounts to the tow vehicle's reciever and can be used with or without the trailer hitched. It holds 2 bikes and got an outstanding review. Cost was $89.

If you cant find the article, I will be glad to scan it and e-mail a copy to anyone interested.

Mike m
Old 11-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #27
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=MMARFISI link=board=1;threadid=1235;start=msg10553#msg10553 date=1067710132]
I just saw an article in RV Journal, summer 2003 edition (available at Camping World). There is a review on a "V Rack Bike Rack" manufactured by Advantage Sport Rack of Bellingham Wa. It mounts to the tow vehicle's reciever and can be used with or without the trailer hitched. It holds 2 bikes and got an outstanding review. Cost was $89.

If you cant find the article, I will be glad to scan it and e-mail a copy to anyone interested.

Mike m
[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to see that review. Could you kindly email it to the email address in my profile?

(FYI, I don't put my email address in posts on any online forums because of email address harvesting bots that crawl the web looking for email addresses that can be sold to spammers).
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote