TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #21
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Cheri - sorry to hear about your blowout. They can cause quite a bit of damage underneath. When we had our blowout we had a hole about the size you described to the rear of the wheel well on the same side as you did (luckily we had done the wheel well mod and the wheel well didn't get hurt much, just got kind of banged up). I went to OSH and bought a small piece of sheet metal, cut it to size with some sheet metal shears, plugged up the hole above the level of the sheet metal with some spray foam, and then (can't remember now) either used the pop riveter to attach it or sheet metal screws. The pop riveter was interesting for me, I'd never heard of or used one before doing the ww mod.

Ours was on the way home too, and on a really hot day after traveling for a long while. At least we didn't have our cat with us on that trip.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #22
2bcs1jrt

I'm wondering if a pop riveter might be worth owning rather than renting. It seems to be something needed frequently when repairing the TM

The good news was that there was no loss of control. DH pulled off with no handling issues. That was pretty amazing.

The other good news is it wasn't on the plumbing side!
Cheri
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri -

You can buy a pop rivet kit (the tool plus a bunch of rivets and backer washers) at any hardware store. Definitely worth having. At the same time you buy it, get an assortment of rivet lengths (whatever the kit doesn't have) in both aluminum and steel.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
2bcs1jrt

Thanks Bill.
Just called DH on his cell while on his way the the hardware store. You never know, he might bring one home. It ain't flowers but it will have to do.
Cheri
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #25
radbuggy

I was thinking of getting a set of steel fenders from a trailer supply house and install them up under the wheel wells. They should be able to bolt to the front and rear edge of the fender well, thus protecting the TM from any flying tire parts.
This would be easier than forming wheel well liners out of sheets of aluminum.

I am still in the thinking process on this mod.