TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
nwhouston

Default Door knob and deadbolt replacement parts

I have found an exact in-kind replacement for the door knob and deadbolt that were factory install on our '07. When I say exact, I mean the latches are the same 'drive-into-place' design, the knobs are an exact match in fit, finish, etc. The knobs could be used with the old latch, which I did with the dead bolt (changed out the main door knob latch as I had already pulled it to take to the store for dimension checks).

Replacing the door knob was necessary as our latch no longer fully retracted when opening from the outside. So the door would not open. Someone inside could turn the interior knob with full retraction of the latch. When I disassembled the outer knob I found the 'gear' in that knob was worn on one side so it would not rotate the latch assembly fully. AKA no fixing it.

So after a couple of years of trying to figure a way to pull the wing piece out (turnbuckle and hook worked this issue), I pulled the old knob and went to a Houston local Mobile Home and RV parts store. Sure enough, they sell a combo set with four keys. Sweet. Install took 10 minutes for both. No cutting, no drilling, no chiseling. Part number for combo set is 8-84286; manufacturer is J&D. Description on my invoice is 'Combo Lock Set - Silver 10-010(20).

Store is Atlas Mobile Home & RV Parts located on Parker Road in Houston. Phone is 713-699-0276. Web is http://www.180039atlas.com.

Hope another link in the parts rolodex helps.

Larry
2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 speed auto
+P3 brake controller
nwhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
mmccauley

I guess my TM is very old. It does not have a deadbolt but I sure wish I did. Could you attach a pic so I could see it. I would like to modify mine if possible. Is there a keyless entry lock that fits the TM?
Thank you,
Mary
mmccauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think that both the knob/lock and the deadbolt are standard household units - the fact that it is a trailer does not require anything special. Like a household unit, the deadbolt is mounted just above the knob, and the bolt recess cut/bored into the door frame (which is aluminum).

Given that it is standard, you should be able to get a keyless unit as well as a standard keyed unit. Sorry I have no pictures, but my TM is not here.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote