TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
SireMike

Default Cover on a Trailmanor

Recently purchased a used 3124ks that came with a cover. I am storing the TM closed up in my backyard in Orange Park Florida.

I am concerned about mildew forming in the trailer while under the cover. Should I crack a few vents or put some type of dessicant in it to cut down on the moisture?

I have not put the cover on yet but probably will this weekend

Mike
Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is the cover material "breathable"?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

I have a very breathable ADCO cover for my 2518. No problems with mildew inside the trailer but I was surprised to see that when I removed the cover for the first time in Feb. after having it covered since mid October, there was green (mold?) growing on the inside top portion of the cover itself. I thought it was breathable enough to evaporate before that could happen...guess not.
Cheri
PS
I store mine closed as the cover only fits while closed.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I know that our climate is vastly different from yours (Central Coast of CA - it's 68 degrees outside as I type and we've been having a heat wave). We keep our TM open all year and have one of the breathable covers. I wish that we'd bought it right away. The winter before last it was so wet with the TM uncovered that it did start to get a bit of a mildew smell. We used to go out there every night and watch TV, so we noticed it right away. We opened it up and ran a fan, washed the curtains, all the sleeping bags, and the pillows. Last winter, it stayed nice and dry inside and CLEAN on both the inside and outside. It was such a pleasure to just take the cover off and have it ready to go, clean, and the tail lights nice and dry & not corroded. We used to have to clean out the tail lights before leaving, they were always damp and had green stuff growing inside! I tried putting plastic bags over them but it didn't help.

Since I have no experience with your climate, I'd suggest that you try it and then inspect the TM every week or so to make sure that it stays mildew-free.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Freedom

There is a product called Dri-Z-Air, that removes excess moisture from the air and cuts down on mildew and mold. Here's a site: http://www.drizair.com/
Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Another problem we've noticed with covers in general is that in windy locations the movement of the cover by the wind can eventually erode the paint or take the shine off any surface the cover touches. They need to be tight as well as breathable if possible. Saving and using the foam corner protestors that come in almost every boxed thing you buy can help. Older covers that have become saturated with dust and grit are the worst offenders and they can get that way in a few months. Building a frame over the TM and putting the cover on that would probably solve both problems.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
Saving and using those foam corner protestors that come in almost every boxed thing you buy can help.
That's exactly what we've switched over to. I have one on each corner and also tape larger pieces of styrofoam to the latches (mine swing free, as the TM is open). I also wrap the ends of the bumper with a cushiony mailing protector fabric.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Queeniereads

We bought the breathable cover that our TM dealer sold. We covered our 3124KS all last winter and had no problem. SInce we presently have no tow vehicle, we plan to leave our TM covered in our driveway for at least the next year. We made s=ure to pack it down after a long stretch of dry hot weather. Queeniereads aka Judi