TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
CampingClam

Default Boondocking? Running A/C using Honda 2000 on propane

Thought I'd share this with anyone interested. It's been talked about before but the threads are very long and tend to stray off topic or become anecdotal. I recently installed these on my 2008 2720:

Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (install time - 1 hour): https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit (install time - 1 hour): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV966YH/

I can now start and run the A/C on a Honda EU2000 on ECO mode using propane, NG, or pump gas like normal.

Before this, A/C was only a plug-in or huge/heavy/noisy generator option.
CampingClam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingClam View Post
Thought I'd share this with anyone interested. It's been talked about before but the threads are very long and tend to stray off topic or become anecdotal. I recently installed these on my 2008 2720:

Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (install time - 1 hour): https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit (install time - 1 hour): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV966YH/

I can now start and run the A/C on a Honda EU2000 on ECO mode using propane, NG, or pump gas like normal.

Before this, A/C was only a plug-in or huge/heavy/noisy generator option.
WOW.

Ok, any idea of approximate runtime on a full tank of propane? Obviously will depend on cycling needs, outside temp, coldness setting, etc, etc, but just a ballpark?
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm impressed that it will run the A/C on propane. Propane has less energy content than gasoline, so normally a propane conversion includes a 10% (or so) hit on available engine power, which means a 10% hit on available electric power. As has been pointed out, the real test is the starting surge. Once the A/C is running, it requires much less power.

Anecdotally (!), in marginal power situations, I always found it helpful to turn the A/C control switch to HIGH FAN, wait until the fan comes up to speed, then (and only then) turn the control to LOW COOL. This ensures that the fan surge and the compressor surge don't happen at the same time.

Good info! Thanks, from so many of us.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
CampingClam

From what I heard, you can supposedly get about 20 hours from a propane tank at "moderate" load. I wouldn't expect 20 hours running AC. I'll probably run it on pump gas most of the time since I always bring a gas can to fuel our dirt bikes where we typically boondock. I did the propane conversion just to have options.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I’m sure there are different opinions on this but I read an article that converting some generators to run on propane is not a good idea. This is because propane runs a lot hotter than gas and if the generator was not designed for that heat, early failures can happen. Generators sold as a duo fuel are designed for the added heat. So while I am sure the Honda 2000i works on propane, the added heat may introduce other problems.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Interesting. I haven't heard of this issue. Do you have a reference, by chance?

I did find one comment, more or less related, online at
https://www.propanecarbs.com/questions.html
Problem:
Engine won't start or is hard to start.
Solution:
Propane and natural gas require from 50% to 100% higher temperature to ignite a charge as compared to gasoline. The ignition must be in good shape. You might try changing the spark plug gap to around .025.

In other words, it needs a hotter spark to ignite it - but that doesn't say how hot it burns.

and

http://www.propane-generators.com/faq%27s.php
Misinformation Often Received
PROPANE WILL MAKE THE ENGINE RUN HOTTER AND BURN THE VALVES!
This is not true! Propane is actually lower in Btu's than gasoline. When set correctly the engine will run just as cool as gasoline. As with all fuels, proper air/fuel mixture settings are important.

Neither one of these sounds real scientific, and both of them are selling conversion kits, so a grain of salt is in order. I would welcome better info. However, although Honda doesn't appear to sell conversion kits, the Honda web site doesn't mention propane conversion, nor does their warranty. Considering the number of conversion kits sold, I would think that conversion-failures would be common enough to raise red flags.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
CampingClam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
I’m sure there are different opinions on this but I read an article that converting some generators to run on propane is not a good idea. This is because propane runs a lot hotter than gas and if the generator was not designed for that heat, early failures can happen. Generators sold as a duo fuel are designed for the added heat. So while I am sure the Honda 2000i works on propane, the added heat may introduce other problems.
If I was using it daily, I'd stick with gasoline. Using it for 8 hours every month only during the riding season makes any early burned valves possibility a non-issue for me. The lack of stagnate gasoline varnish/ethanol concerns vastly outweigh the slightly higher valve temps (combustion temp is actually lower, but you're correct that you don't get the intake cooling caused expanding gasoline from liquid to gas). If my generator needs a valve job in 2030 instead of 2034, that's fine and it will probably be paid for by the lack of carb rebuilds, more frequent oil changes, and other maintenance related to using old gasoline. I also like the tri-fuel option for earthquake preparedness where one or more fuels may be hard to get for a while.