TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
MaxDog

Default Converter replacement

Hello,

I will be replacing my WFCO 8935 converter. My TM is a 2007 3023. The converter is located in the hallway on the lower bathroom wall. The TM has two tongue mounted 6 volt golf cart batteries. It also has a roof mounted solar panel.

I have read really bad things about the WFCO converter. I am open to replacing it with a better brand (especially a cheaper brand), as long as I don't have to make any modifications to the TM and as long as the new one fits in the spot that the WFCO is in.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a replacement converter that won't neccessitate any significant modifications? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Look for a post by HarveyRV. He replaced his with a unit from Progressive Dynamics, and I think it physically fit in the same space.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I recently replaced the original converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655. It did fit in the original hole, no cutting was required. It is a multi-stage converter and it works pretty well.

If you replace just the converter it is a fairly easy job. There are wires that bring the house current in and wires to send the 12 volt power out.

They send you a new fuse panel and I replaced that as well. The fuse panel is a lot of work. You have to remove all the wires and fit them to the new panel. The new fuse panel does give you a couple of new circuits that might be useful and it also has a red light above each fuse that lets you know when a fuse is blown.

You can tackle it yourself but you do need to know your way around wiring. Install a battery cutoff switch first. You need an easy way to make the whole system go dead.

I got a converter that was a little beefier than the one I had. I installed heavier wiring between the converter and the batteries. If you don't plan to do that then get a converter with the same rating as the one you have.

I bought the unit from Randy at bestconverter.com. The price was good and the service is excellent. If you run into a problem or have a question they will help you out. Call them and tell them what you have and they can tell you what unit you need to buy.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
retiredgoat

The helpfulness of the staff at bestconverter.com was a real selling point when I changed mine over and when I had to replace the battery they were very informative.

Good luck
Bob
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
MaxDog

Thanks to all of you for your responses