TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
BobD

Default Axle swap on a '99 3023

I found that for about 500.00 I can get an axle that will handle up to 5k lbs. and
is the same as the one the factory installs on the newer 3023's with the 15" wheels. Has anyone done an axle swap? Trailmanor Engineering told me I will probably have to cut away the floor to make it work. I didn't think that going to a 15" wheel would need that much more width. The axles are all custom made to
order, they do not stock any axles at Dexter.(according to the website) Any thoughts??
Old 10-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
live2shopnc

Default axle swap

When I ordered my 2720sd I had the factory do the swap. I also had the lift kit installed. No mods. to the wheel well were done. Think I may have been the first to request this change because it took a couple of days before they said it could be done.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
radbuggy

Default In the proccess

I just ordered an axle from Dexter that is the same that TM is using on their newer (since 1999) 30 foot and bigger trailers.
I am removing the 3500lb and installing a 5200lb axle with 15 inch tire upgrade. The larger tire with a higher rated sidewall should give me better MPG. This will also allow me to pack as I please and not over load anything.
I weighed my empty TM with awning, A/C, 5 gallons of water and one full propane tank. It was at 3560lbs, no supplies or bedding.
No wonder I was burning thru tires. (4,000 miles a set). Over loading bent a negative camber into the 3500lb axle.
I will follow up with progress as I install it.
I must have it in by the end of July for a road trip to the coast.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

radbuggy - what model TM do you have? Where did you get the new axle, and if you don't mind me asking, how much? I've been thinking of doing this also at some point.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
radbuggy

Default Complete!!!!!!!!!!

AXLE SWAP COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a difference. 1,000 mile round trip to the Oregon coast and very pleased. #5200 Axle $500, New 225/75/15 tires and wheels $300. No worries --- PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ordered an axle just like TM is using now and it worked. I would suggest going to a 70" hub face to hub face and not the 69 1/4" that TM uses.
I currently only have 1/8" or less of clearance between the backing plate and my inner fender wells. I will be installing a set of 1/4" wheels spacers to give me a little breathing room.
I had to take very close measurements and recheck and recheck because there was only about 1/2" of room around the tire to work with.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
radbuggy

Before I did the axle swap I stuffed a set of steel fenders in the wheel wells in case there were any blowouts (with the old axle and 14" wheels), 300 miles later is when I found my camber ploblem and decided to upgrade the axle.

I ordered my axle from the local Dexter Dealer Redneck Trailers in Caldwell Idaho.
I installed it under a 1998 3023.

I would highly recommend this swap. I no longer have to worry if a tire will blow, it handles so much better around corners and I can load it up with everything. I think I am going to put a canoe rack on top next.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
camp2canoe

Radbuggy - I have always been disappointed that TM doesn't offer a canoe rack. It seems to me that if the roof can handle antennas, solar panels, fantastic fans, air conditioning and any snow load, it sure ought to be able to handle a 60# canoe. We regularly travel with friends who have a Coleman popup with a factory rack. If you do install such a rack, please post details and photos! - camp2canoe

P.S. We store canoes and kayaks on the garaged TM (in the folded mode) with no ill effects.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
radbuggy

Default Axle Swap Pics coming soon

I will be taking pics of the 5200 lbs axle swap and getting them posted within a week.