TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

Default Tow Mirror Extensions for 4Runner

Need advice on best mirror extensions. The Tow-N-See seem to be the most versitile. Any thoughts from owners on best tow mirrors?
Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry 1950 View Post
Need advice on best mirror extensions. The Tow-N-See seem to be the most versitile. Any thoughts from owners on best tow mirrors?
Check out some of these posts from a search on "Towing mirrors".

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...earchid=492174
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Wayne suggests (though he needs to edit his link), you should do a Search on Towing mirrors.

Let me suggest you start here, so as to get an idea of what towing mirrors are supposed to do for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
ib4classics

Gerry, we have a 2008 4 Runner and I purchased the McKesh mirrors. I could not be happier, they give great rear and side vision.
They take a little time to fit and adjust the first time but after that 2 min. and ready to go.
John
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

Gerry - I have a set of McKesh clone mirrors (from Camping World) for sale. See the posting in items for sale.
Alan
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9695
Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
P and B

I initially bought the "tow and see" mirrors that suction onto the mirror. Wouldn't recommend them.

I bought a set of Dual XLR mirrors last summer and it really improved my ability to see behind me. They have two mirrors that each can be adjusted. They have a ratchet system that, once set, are pretty easy to take on and off. The other advantage is that your regular mirrors are also useable which, oddly, I still use when the extensions are on.

Phil
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
I initially bought the "tow and see" mirrors that suction onto the mirror. Wouldn't recommend them.

I bought a set of Dual XLR mirrors last summer and it really improved my ability to see behind me. They have two mirrors that each can be adjusted. They have a ratchet system that, once set, are pretty easy to take on and off. The other advantage is that your regular mirrors are also useable which, oddly, I still use when the extensions are on.

Phil
That is what I dowith my Chevy. I have the factory mirrors set to see the TM wheels and the cars alongside me. The factory mirrors are adjusted a bit lower than normal. My McKesh are mostly set to see down the full length of the TM and beyond.

I also have the small spot mirrors that I use to see oncoming cars at a freeway on-ramp and also for the small little convertible, like my daughter's Miata, in my blind spot.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
BlueLeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
Gerry, we have a 2008 4 Runner and I purchased the McKesh mirrors. I could not be happier, they give great rear and side vision.
They take a little time to fit and adjust the first time but after that 2 min. and ready to go.
John
John, I've also got a set of McKesh mirrors, and just bought a 2006 4Runner. How did you get the strap to work with the plastic fascia panels on the bottom of your doors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	878.2 KB
ID:	6867  
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default CIPA mirrors

Folks,

On my last two TV's I have used the CIPA slip-on mirrors. Both TV's have been F-150's. With the clamp on style mirrors vibration is a constant problem and those McKesh ones cost many $$. Owners that have used them seem satisfied with the McKesh, but I can say the same thing.

First of all, they cost about $30 per side at Camping World. So we're talking $60 a set versus $130-$150.

Second, they slip on in seconds. Then you slip in a little wedge and tighten a knurled knob on the back against it. In most cases, you don't have to give them any thought until the next trip. I had one work loose on one side once, but I was immediately alerted by the change in the view, so I stopped and tightened it.

Next, I have never noticed any vibration problem. If I hit a bump big enough the vibrate the stock mirrors on the truck, the CIPA's only vibrate the same, and this is very rare.

Another aspect is that I can see the sight lines converge at a point a couple of car lengths behind the TM. A small car can hide directly behind the trailer, but not an suv or pickup since I can see their roof in my inside rear view mirror. The wiggle technique can quickly expose any bozo following real close to the trailer, but what can you do anyway? (Perhaps a rear mounted, remotely operated paint ball gun?)

A final point is that these mirrors have slots to expose any stock mirror mounted, rear-facing turn signal indicators. If your TV has these you could instantly see a difference in the lights if the mirror began to slip off.

BTW, I also have little convex mirrors mounted in the corners of my OEM mirrors. I always check these for blind spot coverage before changing lanes.

So, I would recommend taking a look at these before plunking down so much money.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeader View Post
I've also got a set of McKesh mirrors, and just bought a 2006 4Runner. How did you get the strap to work with the plastic fascia panels on the bottom of your doors?
Blue -

Not being a 4Runner owner, I'm not quite sure what your question means. There is a padded metal clip at the lower end of each strap, intended to clip over the lower edge of the door. Does this not work? Is the door edge plastic but really wimpy? Help me out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote