TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Water Heater Element Installation

The electric heating element in the Suburban water heater failed recently. I was able to locate a new element at an out of town RV dealer. When I went to install the new element I discovered that none of the sockets I had with me at the time, would fit.

I had replaced the anode rod one time, and noted on the inside of the WH cover, that the required socket size was 1- 1/16" (??). My question is, does the water element use the same size socket? Will a regular automotive type socket fit the recess hole, or do I need one of those stamped, thin-wall sockets?

Also, do you have to remove the gas burner tube to get at the electric element? (it appears that it would be in the way otherwise).

PS: The trailer is not nearby, so I can't look for myself at the moment
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Gary&Mary

My 2720 SL has a Suburban WH. I use a standard residential water heater element socket available at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $6.00. It is larger than 1 1/16" socket needed for the anode.

I doubt an automotive socket will work as the socket walls may be too thick.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Gary&Mary

Coincidentally, I just replaced my second water heater element in 2 years. Can't seem to remember that pesky little switch hidden back there.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
allenj

I just replaced my heating element recently. I first tried a 3/4" 12 point socket from Craftsman, which was the only socket they had in the 1 1/16" size. It wouldn't fit because the walls were too thick.
I returned it and got a 6 point 1/2" socket from Autozone that fit perfectly, and was also much cheaper.

It is necessary to remove the bottom tube that feeds the gas into the main burner tube, but it is fairly easy to remove and replace.