TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
moaboy

Default Oven vs microwave?

[Split from another thread]

My wife and I prefer having an oven and then we can put the microwave we carry higher up on the counter,not a big deal, but something to consider.
We find it the best of both worlds.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
PopBeavers

In 4 years we have used the WalMart counter top microwave once, to warm up left overs.

We use the built-in oven every day. Biscuits for breakfast and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Ditto on having an oven. When I went to buy my used TM, someone had taken the real oven out and shoved a microwave in there. I negotiated $500 off the asking price and then put in a brand new oven. If a microwave is ever needed, put a little one on the counter.

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
clown9644

Holy smokes, I never considered the over an option, thought it was standard. I use my oven all the time!

Dave
Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
In 4 years we have used the WalMart counter top microwave once, to warm up left overs.

We use the built-in oven every day. Biscuits for breakfast and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
My wife says cooking and camping do not go togeather. If it's a camping trip with other family member and their own trailers. What ever my wife is going to do for the pot-luck she makes it at home and reheats it in the microwave at the campground. Our Elkmont came with a oven and a microwave.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
CrazyCampers

Thank you for all of the great responses!

PopBeavers, sadly no biscuits or cookies for us. DH and I do low carb for health reasons. I use the microwave constantly for breakfast sausage, bacon, vegetables, etc., so I definitely need a microwave. The oven I would use mainly for baking chicken and fish, which could really be done with a grill outside.

Beak12, because of our special diet, the kitchen part of the TM is important to me. It is just too hard to eat out everyday on a long vacation and still stay on this diet. So unfortunately, I won't get a break from cooking.

However in reading more posts on here, and seeing the negative comments about the microwave replacement for the oven, I think I would rather have an oven and a cheapo microwave on the side. Is the microwave/drawer feature like what is shown in the post under TrailManor General Discussions->TrailManor Pictures->2008 2720 pictures? I like that setup with the microwave level with the oven counter area and the extra drawer. That would probably work well for us. Is the standard oven big enough to put a 9x12 in or is it tiny?

ThePair, I thought the Plumb Quick Connect would be handy for hooking up a grill but I didn't realize it would cut down the pressure so much. So do you just hook up the grill to the propane tank directly, leaving it in place? Could you still use propane in stovetop of the TM while also grilling? How and where do you usually hook up a grill when camping? Where is the Plumb Quick Connect located? I assumed it was to the left of the door behind where the stove is, but I have no idea where it is.

Right now, we do not own a grill and I was hoping to get something like the Weber or the Cuisinart portable one for DH for Christmas. (The Cuisinart one has a stand so it would be high up and hopefully a 4 ft hose would work.) (The camping grill we had we just got rid of because it used some ancient fuel system.) We would use it for steaks and burgers and anything that might smoke. But I would still want to be able to use the stovetop at the same time.

ThePair, I can't find the link for the water refill bridge. Do you remember anything else about the post? For the next few years, we plan on only camping with a water hookup so it is not important immediately but could be later when we get more courageous and try roughing it more. (DH is used to tent camping so I am the one who wants more pampering.) About the water heater, I had hoped that the TM heater would add extra water in while you are using it, but from your post, I guess it doesn't. My father has a trailer and said that they rarely ran out of hot water because his heater added more in and heated up so fast that it was not a problem. I would really like the option of being able to take quick showers in the TM without stresssing about running out of hot water. (We had planned on using a timer for my teenage daughter who takes long showers at home. (If she is still showering when the timer buzzes, she is stuck using the campground shower the next day.)

I love the idea of the electric shower head. Amazon has a bunch for under $100 and they claim to work with RVs. I assume they have cords that you can plug in somewhere? Does your comment mean that the AC has an outlet or something you could plug it into? If an electric shower head is a viable option and easy to install later, we could try it without the shower head or other options, and then add it if we tend to run out of water.

By the way, I loved your bunk bed ideas! I definitely plan to try this for my teenage boy and girl. They refuse to share a bed but loved the picture I showed them of your bunk beds. My daughter is done growing and at 5' 4" and only 90 lbs, so she claimed the top bunk.

Also, what do you mean by higher kitchen sink? Did they raise the height of the sink in new models?

BrittanyDogs, how important is the TV antenna for resale? I was hoping camping would be a time I could discourage TV watching. If anything we would bring a small TV/DVD player combo we have. I want to avoid the whole clicking around and watching junk syndrome that happens at home all too often. On are last vacation, we all had so much fun playing games in the evening, and I want to encourage that.

robertkennel, I've been looking for a newer used but noticed that you really don't save that much. The few I have seen are only a few $1000 below what I believe I could negotiate. We plan on using the TM for 15 years so I think we want to go with new so we know what we are getting.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Maybe now is a good time for our friendly moderator to split it in two. I'm not sure how to make that request.

Regarding an outdoor stove/grille...

I have a small (3 gallon I think) propane tank. It allows me to set up the grille anywhere I want. I don't have to be near the TM. I have a splitter so I can run two grilles.

If I need to run more I take one tank off of the TM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
ThePair, I thought the Plumb Quick Connect would be handy for hooking up a grill but I didn't realize it would cut down the pressure so much. So do you just hook up the grill to the propane tank directly, leaving it in place? Could you still use propane in stovetop of the TM while also grilling? How and where do you usually hook up a grill when camping? Where is the Plumb Quick Connect located? I assumed it was to the left of the door behind where the stove is, but I have no idea where it is.
I have a 'T' device that screws into the ACME fitting on the propane, and allows for a hose to come off and screw into the fitting on the grill where you would normally attach a bottle. The line to the TM stays attached as well, so the TM functions as expected, the grille thinks it's attached to a normal bottle, and I just have a 12' hose connecting the two. My wife likes to grill, and usually puts it near the tongue just outside the awning anyway, so it works great and I don't have to worry about propane bottles. My quick connect is near the hinge side of the door on the right. The problem is that propane in the tank is ~14 PSI iirc, and after the regulator (i.e. the quick connect pressure) is 0.5 PSI. That drop becomes worse the longer the hose is, plus you then need to keep the grill closer to the door, under the awning, which is less than optimal, imo.

Quote:
ThePair, I can't find the link for the water refill bridge.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10458

That's the whole thread with the theory. The last few pages detail the end result.

Quote:
For the next few years, we plan on only camping with a water hookup so it is not important immediately but could be later when we get more courageous and try roughing it more. (DH is used to tent camping so I am the one who wants more pampering.) About the water heater, I had hoped that the TM heater would add extra water in while you are using it, but from your post, I guess it doesn't. My father has a trailer and said that they rarely ran out of hot water because his heater added more in and heated up so fast that it was not a problem. I would really like the option of being able to take quick showers in the TM without stresssing about running out of hot water. (We had planned on using a timer for my teenage daughter who takes long showers at home. (If she is still showering when the timer buzzes, she is stuck using the campground shower the next day.)

I love the idea of the electric shower head. Amazon has a bunch for under $100 and they claim to work with RVs. I assume they have cords that you can plug in somewhere? Does your comment mean that the AC has an outlet or something you could plug it into? If an electric shower head is a viable option and easy to install later, we could try it without the shower head or other options, and then add it if we tend to run out of water.
Honestly, if you've never tried showering, try it before you worry about upgrading. Many, many people have successfully showered in the TM. The hot water heater does refill as you use water (like at home), but naturally that water is cold (like in your home) so it needs a little time to reheat as the temperature drops. As long as you're not taking back-to-back showers, I'd imagine you'll be fine... and if you have water hook-ups, there really shouldn't be an issue!

Quote:
By the way, I loved your bunk bed ideas! I definitely plan to try this for my teenage boy and girl. They refuse to share a bed but loved the picture I showed them of your bunk beds. My daughter is done growing and at 5' 4" and only 90 lbs, so she claimed the top bunk.
Lifesaver.

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by higher kitchen sink? Did they raise the height of the sink in new models?
I recall reading on a post someplace that TM now makes the kitchen sink flush with the rest of the countertop, and uses a folding faucet, rather than having the whole sink low (as in previous models). Perhaps someone can find that link/pic?
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
CrazyCampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I have a 'T' device that screws into the ACME fitting on the propane, and allows for a hose to come off and screw into the fitting on the grill where you would normally attach a bottle. The line to the TM stays attached as well, so the TM functions as expected, the grille thinks it's attached to a normal bottle, and I just have a 12' hose connecting the two. My wife likes to grill, and usually puts it near the tongue just outside the awning anyway, so it works great and I don't have to worry about propane bottles. My quick connect is near the hinge side of the door on the right. The problem is that propane in the tank is ~14 PSI iirc, and after the regulator (i.e. the quick connect pressure) is 0.5 PSI. That drop becomes worse the longer the hose is, plus you then need to keep the grill closer to the door, under the awning, which is less than optimal, imo.
That's sounds like a good solution for us. 12 feet would let you position it wherever the smoke wouldn't blow into the TM. (I have severe smoke allergies so DH does the grilling.)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
CrazyCampers

Quote:
I recall reading on a post someplace that TM now makes the kitchen sink flush with the rest of the countertop, and uses a folding faucet, rather than having the whole sink low (as in previous models). Perhaps someone can find that link/pic?
Searched and found the pic:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13292

Cool!