TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Low pressure propane quick connect

I have searched on the TMO but have not found information on the installation of a propane quick connect on a TM. I would like to install this connection where the low pressure hose (after the regulator) enters the TM and connects to the copper pipe distribution; that is, between the end of the hose and the TM. I have been unsuccessful in finding a "kit" to do this on the Internet. Has anyone done this, and if so, what parts did you use? Thanks.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Curious why you want to do this?

I had the dealer put one in on my TM when I purchased it. I have never used it for anything; instead, I got a 90 degree tap directly off the tank and use that for my grill & campfire.

I ask, because if you have something specific in mind, I may want to do it, too....
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Curious why you want to do this?

I had the dealer put one in on my TM when I purchased it. I have never used it for anything; instead, I got a 90 degree tap directly off the tank and use that for my grill & campfire.

I ask, because if you have something specific in mind, I may want to do it, too....
Me too, all our external gas appliances are high pressure inputs.

As for tying into the low pressure side; all you need are a tubing cutter, flair or compression fittings( a tee), and a quick disconnect. Most of these are available at hardware stores.

Remember this is gas so leak check...leak check; either soapy water or the commercial stuff.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default I want to use a propane-fueled generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Me too, all our external gas appliances are high pressure inputs.

As for tying into the low pressure side; all you need are a tubing cutter, flair or compression fittings( a tee), and a quick disconnect. Most of these are available at hardware stores.

Remember this is gas so leak check...leak check; either soapy water or the commercial stuff.
I want to be able to easily use a propane-fueled generator while keeping the tank switch-over capability of the two-tank propane system -- easily disconnect it after each use and lock it in the TV. I do not know if I am up to breaking into the copper lines under the TM. I thought that there might be a tee that would go between the rubber hose and its connection to the TM, but I have not been able to find one on the Internet, and the local HomeDepot was no help.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I'm surprised the ginny isn't a high pressure connection with its own regulator.
You might check out a mobile home/RV supplies place. A hardware store like Ace or Do it best is usually a better place for fittings then a Home Depot or Lowes.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm with ScrubJay on this. Before proceeeding, be sure that your conversion kit will accept low-pressure propane, which is what is piped around the TM. If the conversion kit has its own regulator, the answer is almost certainly "NO". On the other hand, you can buy a brass tee that will enable you to deliver high pressure propane to your genny conversion, but you have to tap off right at the tank, before the automatic switchover mechanism.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm with ScrubJay on this. Before proceeeding, be sure that your conversion kit will accept low-pressure propane, which is what is piped around the TM. If the conversion kit has its own regulator, the answer is almost certainly "NO". On the other hand, you can buy a brass tee that will enable you to deliver high pressure propane to your genny conversion, but you have to tap off right at the tank, before the automatic switchover mechanism.
The generator is this one http://yamaha-propane-natural-gas-ge...m/ef1000is.htm. It comes already converted for low-pressure propane, so therefore I would like to tap into the low-pressure system after the TM's regulator so that I do not lose the tank switch over feature of the TM and can easily hook up the generator when needed. I will check out the non-big-box hardware stores. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Looks good, Tim. The ability to use propane from the pre-existing low-pressure distribution system would be a big improvement over other multi-fuel setups I have checked into. Installation should be simple. A tubing cutter (a couple bucks from a hardware store, usually in the plumbing section) and some brass compression fittings will get you into the low-pressure system anywhere you need to tap in. Let us know how it works out.

By the way, I would love to do this with my Honda EU-1000i, if anyone comes up with a pointer to a kit. It's been a year since I checked, but the conversion kits I found all seemed made for the 2000-watt generator or larger.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
...snip... By the way, I would love to do this with my Honda EU-1000i, if anyone comes up with a pointer to a kit. It's been a year since I checked, but the conversion kits I found all seemed made for the 2000-watt generator or larger.

Bill
http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...i_Tri_Fuel_Kit
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
MisterP

Bill - a short video showing the size of the regulator

Tags
propane, quick connect